got two more wethers yeserday

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
what I do is put a nice dog collar on them. One with a metal buckle not a plastic snap. Let them get use to the feel of that for a little while , usually a few days to a little over a week. Then hook them to your leash, if your lucky they will just stand there and look at you like and what are you doing. Others will try to bolt as soon as you hook them up.

Make sure you have a small can of feed like a tin veggie can or a hand full of their favorite treats. Show them the treats or food, even giving them a little. Then try to lead them using what ever commands you plan to use regularly, such as saying their name or simply come. If they hesitate show them the treat/ food and use that to get them to follow you. Do this over and over for a few days not going for very long distances at first. Walking further each time you do it. Then after a week or so try it without feed/treat and see how it works. Some take longer then others and then some are just a total battle no matter what you do. Most figure it out fast though and you can get them to lead nicely with just a showing them a reward before you start your walk and giving then the reward once you reach were you are going.

Most of ours have now learned to follow along me and our son without leads and come when called by name. I have some though that I push the walking on a leash because I take them out in public a lot and need to behave on a lead.

Like Skeeter our nigerian x, who went to show and tell at my little guys school this spring and ended up getting a tour of most of the school.He is also house broken so that is a big plus an d did not go to the bathroom once in the two hours he was in the school. This I can't tell you how to do because he actually learned it off our wiener dogs while he was staying in the house over the winter. He goes to town with me a lot and eventually I am thinking I would like to use him for a therapy animal but I did not get to really look into it a lot yet with us being in the process of moving.

I hope this helps you out :thumbsup