Got two new babies today

MrsCowher

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband and I have had a Pygmy adult and her baby for the past almost three months. Today I picked up 2 three month old girls. They of course are being very shy, even with my other two goats.

I have two questions. First, is there anything I can do to make the four goats feel comfortable around each other sooner? Second, how do you recommend I get them used to me quickly and not running away or acting scared when I try to pet them? It seems like it took a month for my first baby to stop being scared of me.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
For your first questions, just give them time. They need to work out the hierarchy of the herd, might fight and bicker a bit, but eventually will settle in. Are you quarantining them?

Second, I think it works best to keep the goats in a small enclosure foe 2-4 weeks when your bring them into your herd. Not only does this help you to catch and prevent disease transfer, but while they are separated, you have the chance to get them familiar with you and begin to trust you. Spend time just sitting in a small pen with them, not even touching them at first, but just letting them observe you---take a book, some raisins or crackers for a treat in case they decide they like you and just let them make the move first. Go slow. If they have not been handled much before, it might take a few weeks of daily time with them before you see improvement.

Syman Says Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good advice Pearce! I just wanted to say congrats on the new additions and I agree that the herd will work things out on their own and will get used to you over time. Good luck and keep us updated... maybe even some pictures :p