Grandkids want a horse or pony

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone my grandkids have been asking for a horse for several years now. We have chickens and dairy goats but I've never owned a horse. First the kids are 3, 8 & 10, what to get a pony or horse? I ordered and DVD on horse lameness and I've heard a little about what to feed but what do I need to watch out for when getting one? temperment, feet, knees, teeth are there any good sites that have pictures of what to watch out for? Then what to do when we get her home, signs of Illiness? I give my goats shots but can you do this with a 800lb animal? I probably need to get a ferrier because I don't think I'll be able to cut their hooves like I do the goat either. What's better, a girl or boy. I've heard that pony's bite more than horses is this true? What's the best size for the 8 & 10 year old and to be able to keep riding for while? Any good books out there I should read? Anything else you would like to add please do, need all the help I can get.
Thanks Pepper

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, if you can find someone with a "kid horse" that you KNOW has history with children riding, but the kids have gotten bigger, and now the folks don't want the horse/pony anymore, then you might do that.

However, living here in horse country, and knowing lots of people with horses and kids, you want to be very very careful.

You will want to get the kids educated too about horses, and the handling of them. It is not something to be taken too lightly, no matter how bad the kids want a horse.

In this area, a good kid horse, with a proven history goes for betweent $!,000.00 and $2,000.00. While most folks can't give a regular, run of the mill horse away....

DonnaBelle

MyLittleParadise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just make sure you really do your homework. Don't rush into anything. Maybe get an older horse 10+ make sure it's kid friendly. Ride the horse before you buy to make sure it rides good, calm, etc. Be safe.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
please please please do your homework. a horse can be the most wonderful life-fullfulling life-changing gift you can ever give, but it can also turn tragic so fast you don't even know what happened.

first of all, the most relevant in todays market ... do not necessarily go for the free one. good kid horses are EXPENSIVE. consider it this way, you wouldn't pick up the cheapest nanny you could get off the nearest street corner because they're probably not going to deliver the kind of service you need.

look for an older horse, something in their mid to late teens.

sounder is better and you don't want any obvious lameness, but if the kids are just going to ride around the farm on weekends, soundness may not be your biggest issue.

conformation is important, but again, if the kids are just going to ride to the creek and back, you could get a better deal on a horse that isn't going to be a high performance prospect.

don't go for the prettiest one and not the sad luck prospect either. -remember this is a 1000lb animal that you're going to trust to take care of your kids.

you want one that is above all quiet and respectful. it should move easily with you on the lead line and let you move it around and push it around. it should have a 'soft eye' and forward ears toward you and the kids regardless of what else is going on around.

look for obvious injuries, scars, swollen knees or joints, etc.

you'll be able to give your own shots and worming, you'll probably need to find a farrier to do their feet.

look for something that is around 13hh - 14hh. .. a hand is 4 inches, measured from the ground to the wither (top of the shoulder.).

http://www.theoriginalseries.com/ELBERETH.htm
scroll down the page and look at the photos of this mare with the little kids. notice her ears. .. ear on the adult .. ear on the kid! she's careful and listening and paying attention both to the adult in charge and worried about taking care of her kid.

http://www.theoriginalseries.com/witness.htm
this mare is about the size i'm suggesting.
you can see how she is alert but relaxed and attentive.

and be sure to look for a healthy horse. there are a lot of 'deals' out there right now and you can be smart and take advantage, but a horse is one animal that DEFINITELY will act quiet and sweet when they are under weight and you could have a real problem on your hands when the spring grass comes in and you get them at a good weight.

also def beware of people who will ride a horse until it's tired before you come to see it so it will act good. it's a hard call because you want to always show a horse clean, etc. ..but it's not uncommon for someone to catch a horse and tire it out then bathe it so there aren't any sweat marks when the shopper arrives.

if you have any specific questions, please ask. i'll help if i can.

gretchenann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think everyone here is giving you sound advise :) A nice, older, kid safe horse would be the route to go- and I would take a horseperson you trust with you if you are not very knowledgeable about horses. Even take the kids with you and szee how the horse reacts around them-
I personally don't care for ponies for kids- I guess growing up I knew too many people with rank no too honest ponies that would give a kid a hard time given the chance- but I am sure nice, gentle ones can be found- the key is quiet and gentle- dog gentle-where the kids can mess arund with it, brush, bathe, pick up feet, spoil it rotten and the horse just goes along with it, but alive enough that it will actually move when asked :)
:D

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes thank you everyone it is very sound advice, alot to think about before we buy. Makes me nervous about it anyway. But thanks again
Pepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I really agree with Gretchenann in that ponies don't always make the best mounts for children. The ones I've met and had have been a bit more pushy with new handlers/riders and will take whatever liberties they feel they can. For someone who has been riding or handling horses and knows the whole pony "tude" thing it's pretty easy to handle them however I've seen the reverse too often where owners did not and ended up with a braty animal that did what it pleased. Though for some children that will push right back a pony with 'tude can be a super fun and challenging mount that will make a more fulfilling friend and better teacher than an easier horse. Also another thing to consider is that ponies are quickly outgrown unless they are larger or the draft pony breeds.

One suggestion is forget size or at the very least push it to the back of your list - the most important thing is finding the horse they are comfortable with, that is not pushy or rude, that is not spooky or hot and has a few years left before they outgrow it or it needs retirement. Size should be up to them but don't let them tell you a horse is too big or too small until they have ridden it. I see a lot of reccomendations for older horses however I don't think age matters as much as training and temperment, I've seen a bombproof kid safe 6 year old that I would rather see a child riding than one of our 16 yr old mares so temperment and training should be higher on your priority list than age.

As far as care, hoof trimming on horses require a bit more precise care since one thing out of whack can cause major issues. Unless you have someone to teach you I would leave it for the farrier. I do our horses hooves every 4 weeks, my grandfather raised us telling us with hoof trimming if you can tell the horse needs a trim you've left it too long.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really great advice. I want to encourage you to get some training for your grand kids and yourselves if you have not been around horses. They are wonderful, beautiful creatures. But they are strong. So many times people say, can I come ride your horses. I tell them, after they have cleaned the stall for a month, groomed them every other day for a month and have led them on a lead line for a nice walk, then I might consider them getting on their backs.. Most people don't take me up on it, but I really do think you need to know a horse and know how to read their signals.

I know here, I had my kids take lessons. It was only for 8 weeks, but having them hear it from someone else really helped. Dad knows nothing right. ;)

Nervous is ok, but don't let it persuade you not to look. Patience. It will happen.

Where are you located, did you say?

I know here, I know someone who has a kid horse ,but her kids don't care anymore. She would love to find him a great home. Right now, is is a pasture ornament.

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live just N of Birmingham, AL

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a slightly different opinion. I don't think you should get a horse or a pony. The grandkids want the horse. You just want to make them happy, but don't neccessarily want the horse. Learning the ropes with a horse in a backyard environment, when you have no horse experience, is dangerous. You don't have the horse background to understand the safety aspects of teaching grandkids to ride. You don't know what to look for in a horse that makes it good or bad.

I think the money you would spend on keeping a horse would MUCH better spent on formal riding lessons for the grandkids. That gives them an educated instructor, someone you can also learn from, and plenty of time to try it before you buy a horse. If after 2-3 years of regular riding you have become comfortable with handling horses and they are still interested, then consider getting a horse.

The idea of generalizing horses and ponies is ridiculous. Our smallest pony is the youngest, and safest horse we own. My wife uses it to give formal lessons to a 3.5 year old. I just think their is a LOT more to know about horse ownership, and specifically buying a horse/pony, than we can possibly summarize in a forum response.

Latest posts