*graphic picture warning*

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh don't I know that feeling! You poor thing. Well yes IF it is staphylococcus aureus it is hard to get rid of and CAN return. Has he done a culture or did he just have a hypothesis? I know you said he did a test.
He did do a culture but has not gotten back to me yet, we will find out! :D What if it ends up being the other one? :( Either way im not very optimistic about her longevity. Even with the antibiotics she is still not really acting any different. Her udder is still swollen :(
My other vet just got back to me to (More like a few hours ago actually) she could not find her work phone all day and called me when she could.
She said that due to the suddenness and aggressiveness of the infection she thinks its more injury related. It would make sense actually since I did see her head butting with another goat a lot yesterday. Im not sure how it all works honestly, so now im just waiting to hear back from the first gentleman who came out to see her.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well shes definitely acting a tiny bit better. She ate a few maple and apple leaves, got up on her own to drink some water and then while I was out scooping poop in the dog run my roommate told me he saw her eating some hay.
She is still not well, still just kinda...laying there and needs to be encouraged to move, but other then that she appears to be showing some improvement emotionally.
Udder wise, the one side has started to shrivel up while the one infected has turned into a half filled water balloon full of fowl smelling bloody liquid...
Fabulous...
At least she appears to be pulling through maybe? Yes? I don't know, i'm honestly afraid to be optimistic.
And no the vet did not do a culture, he said he could do one and I swear I said yes do it, but now he just has guesses.
This is why i like my vet...

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I tend to think the worst. That way when things don't go bad I'm thrilled.
This sounds like it is going to be a long recovery.
Keep us posted on your journey.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well she is certainly better then Saturday. Shes up more then she was, she was caught drinking and eating some hay, and she took some goat treats from my mother this morning.
All signs are looking optimistic, however that udder still looks really bad. The good news about her udder is that its draining naturally now. At least I think its good, its oozing out on its own now.
I'll see about getting pictures when I go back out to strip her again.

Latest posts