Green Goats

Nathan Sampson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah it all depends on the state but federally to move them across state lines they must be identifiable back to there herd of origin due to scrapie concerns. In mo if you sell an animal they say to tag it or if it leaves your property tag it. They do pay for the tags so it isn't that bad of a deal.

I friended you as well

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks so comical, a video of the event would have been perfect! :lol:
I think I'll stick with micro-chipping and scrapie tags! I know I'd end up with more on me than the goat.

redtailgal

Reaction score
http://www.eradicatescrapie.org/State ID Requirements.html

At the above link you can check the specifications for your particular state. It may not include ALL the specifications, but it's a good start. I recently spoke to my ag dept on this matter, as I may be selling some goats next year. According to her, NC laws requires that it be an official ear tag or tattoo, but it must be permanently attached to the body. I also had the idea of putting it on collars but was told that would not be acceptable.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Of course, you CAN affix the scrappie tag to their collar.
I asked the head Vet in charge if I could do that, and I was told (in North Carolina at least) that it had to be a permanent thing, Tags or Tattoo's. some states will let you microchip for Scrapie info, but NC doesn't.

I kinda like the green on them, I just hope they don't scare off anyone who comes to look at our house! hehe (it's for sale)