Greetings from Central Wisconsin

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Tatter said:
Run-A-Muck Ranch said:
Welcome aboard... I am sure you will find lots of helpful info on this site...
We live in a small little 'unincorporated township', one stop sign, nothing within 25 miles any direction.... I love it out here...We have Amish around us as well, not as much as you probably, but a few families within a 10 mile radius... I always envy some of their ways---self sufficiency, simply-ness, easy going... although I don't know if I could handle the 'no electricity...some day I will have solar power though and not have to deal with our horrible electric company.... :)

Anyway...rambling on here...
Welcome to the site... and enjoy...
Hey there, I am one of the few who could easily live without power. I truly have no use for it as I grew up with a grandparent who didn't have electricity until 1982 and still then my grandfolks chose not to use it all that much. My alarm clock is still an old wind up :) as are most of my clocks and wristwatch. I don't care for TV or the radio and only need power for a few things that can easily be replaced with solar power and yes, I'll have solar one day, but not for my whole house, merely for things like the water pump and front door porch light and with the gas prices being the way they are, all I need is a horse or mule to go along with my buckboard wagon :)
I sooo would love to have solar power for our property... Would have to be big panels I'm sure, as we have a farm, shop, house, and all the out buildings...Animals Animals Animals everywhere...lol...
It's still something that we are very serious about attaining someday. (either that or we need to find someone else who is willing to pay our bills...lol)
We have lots of animals, and almost all of them "serve a purpose"...they 'pay their own way' basically... Yes a few are pets, but for the most part, they are working animals...And gardens.... have a few different ones.... I soo dislike going to the grocery store...The bill only goes up and up, even for just the minimum... What used to cost $50 a year ago, now costs close to $100.... It's crazy....
Anyway...not wanting to hyjack the original post....

Tatter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I made mine with the help of my Amish neighbors. I do buggy repair for them every so often, so they taught me a lost art of these modern times. I built mine for $430 and refurbished the wood from a couple old barns. The wheels were made by a neighbor across the road who does a little blacksmithing as a hobby.

Tatter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Run-A-Muck Ranch said:
Tatter said:
Run-A-Muck Ranch said:
Welcome aboard... I am sure you will find lots of helpful info on this site...
We live in a small little 'unincorporated township', one stop sign, nothing within 25 miles any direction.... I love it out here...We have Amish around us as well, not as much as you probably, but a few families within a 10 mile radius... I always envy some of their ways---self sufficiency, simply-ness, easy going... although I don't know if I could handle the 'no electricity...some day I will have solar power though and not have to deal with our horrible electric company.... :)

Anyway...rambling on here...
Welcome to the site... and enjoy...
Hey there, I am one of the few who could easily live without power. I truly have no use for it as I grew up with a grandparent who didn't have electricity until 1982 and still then my grandfolks chose not to use it all that much. My alarm clock is still an old wind up :) as are most of my clocks and wristwatch. I don't care for TV or the radio and only need power for a few things that can easily be replaced with solar power and yes, I'll have solar one day, but not for my whole house, merely for things like the water pump and front door porch light and with the gas prices being the way they are, all I need is a horse or mule to go along with my buckboard wagon :)
I sooo would love to have solar power for our property... Would have to be big panels I'm sure, as we have a farm, shop, house, and all the out buildings...Animals Animals Animals everywhere...lol...
It's still something that we are very serious about attaining someday. (either that or we need to find someone else who is willing to pay our bills...lol)
We have lots of animals, and almost all of them "serve a purpose"...they 'pay their own way' basically... Yes a few are pets, but for the most part, they are working animals...And gardens.... have a few different ones.... I soo dislike going to the grocery store...The bill only goes up and up, even for just the minimum... What used to cost $50 a year ago, now costs close to $100.... It's crazy....
Anyway...not wanting to hyjack the original post....
Go ahead and hijack, its my thread LOL!!! I figured that if I wanted to do my whole house, all I need is an 1800 watt system. My house is small at just under 3,000 sq ft. but I'd like to some day build smaller as its just me here and not a whole family. I found a sweet deal of solar panels on northerntool.com and that site has a good bit of hardware for off-griders and homesteaders alike.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wecome: Tatter, I grew up near Greenbay, WI. But know I live in VA. You should beable to have a pretty big garden on 40 acres.

Tatter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
Wecome: Tatter, I grew up near Greenbay, WI. But know I live in VA. You should beable to have a pretty big garden on 40 acres.
Though the land is huge, most of it is all forest/woods. I have about 3 acres of field and half is a food plot for the wildlife (later to be used as hay for sheep) and the middle of it is my garden and then the rest is set up to have about 5 Icelandic sheep and if I can get away with it, a mule or two also. I'd like to build a small 400 sq ft barn that has a built on chicken coop but that barn would be inside a pine grove near the house (the house is in the woods too).

Why on earth did you move to VA? :)