Greetings from Northern New Mexico

Ocate Stan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stanton and I live in northern New Mexico in a little town called Ocate. We just recently purchased our first small hood of cattle consisting of six cows six calves and two steer. We’ve grown up working cattle on family ranches, but never earned our own. So we are super excited and of course nervous. The cattle arrive today and come from a ranch that is in southern New Mexico. They are not highly domesticated and used to living out in the deserts. We have a lot of grass here in Northern New Mexico, so hopefully this will be their Haven. So we’ll see how this goes. I appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you for accepting me into the group and I look forward to further interactions. Have a great Fourth of July.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from So Cal. Just sheep here. And some chickens and dogs to work with the sheep.
Congrats on taking the big step!

StandingOakHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A second hello from ETX. Congratulations on the beef and the land. I hope it gives you what you’re looking for. Don’t forget to show them off!

What breed(s?) of sheep are you planning to get into?

Ocate Stan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A second hello from ETX. Congratulations on the beef and the land. I hope it gives you what you’re looking for. Don’t forget to show them off!

Thank you.

Thank you. I am not too sure yet but been looking at the Dahl due to its suitability to New Mexico. Looking mostly for meat producing animals rather than wool and only want a few - mostly for personal use/consumption. Maybe 3-4 ewes and a ram. Any insights or suggestions are always welcome.