Ground suitable for pigs?

dottysfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure what topic to post this under so hopefully it is in the right place. :)

I have been planning to get pigs to raise this summer. I will be raising them outdoors. I have found a supplier and am supposed to call him in a couple weeks to pick up my piglets...

However, two nights ago I was laying in bed and thought about the ground around the place I live and remembered all the stuff we dug out of the ground as we tilled for my gardens. I found lots of thick, old broken glass, like maybe old gallon jugs or canning jars...

What does this mean for my future piggies?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They will root it out of the ground, most likely push it around and chew on it, but I doubt that they would swallow it. Pigs are curious, but not stupid enough to eat things that are bad for them. Of course, there are always exceptions to any rule.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I think I'd just get in there every day with a container and pick up everything they root up. It will be an opportunity to clean it all up, with their help.

A previous owner illegally dumped truckloads of debris from a metal shop on what is now the woods alongside my pasture, and partly in the area that is the pasture. I figure in a few more decades it will all be cleaned up. :p We find a lot of stainless steel in the crops of our pastured roosters on processing day. The pigs were fine.

dottysfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Great, that will help me out immensly. Thanks for your responses! :)

I have had bad times with my dog eating things and her having to have surgery and I lost sleep that night thinking about my poor pigs having to go through what my dog did. I think I will plan to go out there on a daily basis and pick up their findings.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
you can't imagine what kind of things our pigs dug up last year. it was amazing.

and yep i'm with free - pick up as much as you can and keep an eye out for what they find.

as always jhm is right - they probably wont eat it... but if they find glass they might "mouth" on it and cut themselves.

good luck!

Latest posts