Hairloss

jessica5254

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a two week nigerian dwarf doeling that has some hairloss around her eyes and on top of her nose. I have looked online and none of the diseases describe what she has. There is no swelling, redness, flakes or nothing. She is acting normal. Maybe i am being a paranoid mother.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She might be rubbing on something for some reason or another....My Nora would rub the top of her head all the time and lost some hair too...could be the begining of something...your not being paranoid...your being diligent!! Your being a good mother.. ;)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like she's scratching herself a lot.. While the scratching may have actually caused the hair loss, you gotta ask yourself....what's causing her to itch?

My guess would be external parasites, but that's just a guess.

You could try a product called CyLence (1ml/25lbs topically) and see if that helps.. I usually reserve the last ml of the dose and put it right on top of their heads..

If nothing else, the CyLence will keep the flies down a bit. :)

jessica5254

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have also heard of people using seven, and where can I get cyclene? Thanks

Goatmom

Just born
Reaction score
Your goat has copper deficiency. Hairloss on the nose a classic symptom. If she is dam raised, the dam needs to be copper bolused with Copasure. Dosages at 'Saanendoah copper' and instructions. Google it. At 3 months a kid can be dosed with the Copasure. I have dosed some copper at a younger age with a quarter to half a copper tablet ,depending on size of kid, using copper for humans at the health food store.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I disagree with the copper deficient idea. Selenium would be a more likely suspect. Cu deficiency rarely is obvious in kids under 6 mos. and I wouldn't consider it safe to bolus a baby that young.

It could just be, too, that the kid is loosing some baby hair - ours usually do this about the face beginning at that age. Zinc deficiency can cause hair loss in patches - again more common in older animals.

I'd give the kid 1/4 cc BoSe if it didn't have it at birth, and wait and see. You can also apply some CyLence to make sure external parasites aren't the culprit.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've got a little hybrid buckling right now who's losing hair on his nose...from nursing so daggone much. :lol:

Singleton...fat as a bear, growing like a weed. Shaping up nicely, in fact. So funny to see the pink on the bridge of his nose, though, where he's wearing the hair off. :p

Totally unrelated to the topic, of course.. :hide

jessica5254

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think your right about nursing sooooo much. She is a little butter ball, but she is happy jumping around kicking her heels. I am not going to medicate until she stops acting like herself. the hair is growing back and it probably was baby fur. Thanks soooo much I appreciate it. I was being protective of my baby.:D

Latest posts