Hawks and Kids

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have what might seem like a crazy question. Can a hawk (red tail is most common here) carry off or get a baby goat?

When I was out in the kids pen today taking care of some finishing touches so we can put the babies out there during the day and milk at night starting next week, I saw a red tailed hawk flying overhead. I also have chickens by the way. It seemed like the hawk was a bit interested in what was going on in the yard, and the mamma goats were a bit concerned about the noise it was making over head. I would not want to loose one of my kids to a nasty hawk looking for a meal.

And if they can get the kids, what do you all do about it. The LGD's are not trustworthy around the babies yet, they try to lick them too much.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a hawk who comes by all the time he wants my chickens very badly, never seen them interested in the babie goats..... not sure he could take a babie goat if he wanted too .But i have my LGD out in the fields. He is a pest at the low flying trying to get to birds...

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is *possible* but it would have to be like a newborn kid. That only weighs a couple pounds. I am pretty sure they can carry up to like two or three pounds if they are a LARGE hawk. I think the rule is they can only carry off something that is a third or less of their body weight?
Worst case scenario you would just need to keep them safe until they are around 5lbs or so.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've lost many chickens to hawks and fox. I've wondered too about the kids. But we also have bald eagles that check things out from time to time which certainly could carry off a kid. It's sort of nerve racking.... With the chickens, providing them with open sided shelter (like a shade shelter) is supposed to give them a place to run and hide. Maybe something like that would work for goats too. I haven't tried it.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do not like to let babies out without the dogs until they are at least 20 lbs. A hawk does not alway carry off it's kill and we have these buzzards that I swear are the size of Volkswagons.

In with the dogs I don't worry. I have witnessed Junior and Snowy chasing off hawks on many occasions.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haven't checked site for a few days, thanks for the replies. So here is my set-up and delema. I have 3 kids with 2 moms, 1 preggo doe and a buck. I also have 2 LGD puppies--9 months. Currently we have 2 separate pens and a kidding area. I have LGD's, preggo, and buck in largest pen, mommas and babies in kidding stall when I am not home, and in the smaller pen when I am home. Starting next week, I was planning on some switching. 2 mommas with LGD's during the day, preggo in kidding stall--due Feb 14, and babies in smaller pen. Milk at 5 then mommas with babies for evening and night.

I cant trust the LGD's with the babies yet as the LGD's are just too young and will lick the babies to death, almost happened once. So the babies will be in the baby pen all by their little lonesomes for about 8 hours a day. The kidding pen is in the open with trees all around, and right next to the other pen. I am sure the LGD's would bark like crazy if something tried to get at the babies, but not sure if that would be enough to shoo off a brazen hawk.

I guess all we can do is give it a try :)

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How high is your fencing/gates around the kid pen? Is it possible to safely run some string line across the top? I wouldn't advise it if you think the goaties could get up to it, but I know there are lots of chicken owners who protect their flock by running fishing line across the top of the chicken run - along with attaching some shiny strips or old shiny cds to the line to ward off overhead birds.

Obviously you don't want to set up anything they could get strangled on, but may work if it could be done so safely.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is an idea. I could run something from tree to tree where it would be too high for the goaties and for the humans, but would perhaps deter a bird from flying down. I will give that a try this weekend before we put the kids out there alone :lol:
I will let you know how it works.