Hay Only for 6 1/2 mo. Old Doe & Wether????

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
New to goats. We have 6 1/2 mo. Old Nigerian Dwarf Doe and Wether who have been on various types of Hay (peanut, T&A, etc.) and Noble Goat Feed up until now.

1) Can we switch to Hay only? We don't plan on breeding/ milking the female- these are pets only. They are in the same living/ feeding quarters. The wether is quicker to eat- she is shy- and HE eats most of the grain we put in there anyway. I know he is the one who should be getting less?!

2) In your experience, is it cheaper to feed them a mix of goat feed AND hay? (Seems a lot of hay goes to waste- grrrr.)

3) My goats don't want any treats- raisins, pretzels, etc. They just want branches and leaves?

4) Someone at the feed store told us they feed theirs Manna Pro Horse Feed. Is this really good advice?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hay only is fine for the wether. Since the doe isn't being milked or bred it should be fine for her too. Depends on the hay.

I recommend trying to keep them on the same type of hay instead of switching. Preferably a legume and mixed grass.

I do not recommend trying any other type of livestock feed unless goat feed is not available. Look at the nutrition label. You want at least 13% protein, preferably 16% and at least a 2:1 Ca:ph ratio. Urea is not recommended for goats as too much can kill them. I have heard no more than 1% but I think it is best to just not feed them any. It is common in other animal feed so read the label carefully.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I creep feed my weanlings til they're about 8 mos old, I wouldn't discontinue feed until they're done growing.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have meat goats and creep feed until 4 months. Helmsted has diary goats so I defer to her about the creep feeding.

cstafford93514@yahoo.com

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In addition to what the others have said I would look for a feed containing Ammonium Chloride (sp) so i could continue to grain my wether if I so desired. AC protects your wether from Urinary Calculi. Also consider taking your doe out to grain her so your wether can not 'steal' her feed.
Good luck,
Carol
P.S. Where is the spell check thinghy???? :idunno

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wasted hay=free bedding. :lol:

If you right-click on a red underlined word it'll give you spelling options... usually. ;)