Heat after breeding?

RaychulRobot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My first time breeding my girls!! So...how do I know if it worked?

My goats were at the breeder's place for the past 2 weeks. She said they stood, and the male was uninterested in them after breeding...good signs yes?

I thought I had timed everything right...but now Little is showing signs of heat. We just picked them up on Saturday...as I wasn't with her I'm not sure if she was actually in heat when they..."did it"

Does this mean it didn't work??

GOATBOOTS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is definitely a possibility. Mine did the same thing this last breeding. Her timing on going back in heat was not right either. Our breeder kept telling me they did not think she was in heat again because the timing was not right. Rosebud has always been very hard to tell when she was in heat until this last time. She is a Nubian but not very vocal about it previously. This last time she screamed her fool head off. I thought she was sick or something at first since she never acted this way any other times she was in heat. I kept checking on her throughout the day and just had a gut feeling she was in heat. They told me to bring her by. When we got there we couldn't get the trailer door open fast enough for her. The buck we were not going to breed her to broke the latch on their gate trying to get to her. I don't know if you have ever had to wrangle a 150 lb buck trying to get at a female in heat but I sure wish we had a video camera that day. Sorry I'm rambling. Just go with your instincts. You know your goat.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a doe last year stand and breed at least a dozen times in a days time, she was a rock and didn't move, she then stood again 2 weeks later again the same way, I wrote down both dates and she kidded from the second breeding. The timing was also odd, right at 14 days later.

Yes, I think it is possible she is coming back in heat and something didn't take the first time, maybe truely wasn't in heat.