Hello from Central Texas

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My name is Jo.
I am in central Texas,
I will get a goat picture for my profile soon I hope.
I am working on a small back yard heard of Nigerian Dwarf Goats. currently I have 4 does, 2 weathers and a buck.
When I started chickens I found Backyard chickens to be one of my most valuable resources. I learned alot, met great people and was even able to answer questions for others. I hope to do the same here.
We got out first Nigerians last November and I am completely in love with them. I want to be able to give them the best healthiest life possible so here I am ready to learn.
Thank you in advance for you assistance and friendships.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from the "western side" of Va. No goats here, but lots of others have them. Had a couple once and all I learned from them is they NEVER stayed where they were supposed to be and someone wanted them more than I did and they got a new address !!!!:gig:gig:bow:bow:bow:bow

Several Texas members on here.

Please go to your name top right of screen, down to account details and down to location and put in your area (central Texas is fine) so all of us "mature adults" :old:old:old, with memories like sieves, don't ask you every time where you are from because sometimes answers to questions are more regional/state/area specific to where you are. Climate and things like available hay etc vary with different areas of the country.

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I’m between Crockett and Lufkin. That drive on Highway 7 from Crockett to going towards Austin is one long lonely dark stretch of road, traveling at night!
Sounds dreamy!
Austin is overgrowing so fast it feels crowded.
Used to be a Church on every corner, now there is a church, a gas station, a liquor store and a dollar general right next to a huge apartment complex. I am finding I can relate to my new goats who really do not care for change.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m on 25 acres on a dead end dirt road in the middle of nowhere it’s 20 miles to Lufkin, 25 miles to Crockett and 9 miles to Apple Springs that boasts of 2 flashing lights. There are 9 homes on my road, I think it’s 3 miles long. I’m 2 miles off the pavement.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds dreamy!
Austin is overgrowing so fast it feels crowded.
Used to be a Church on every corner, now there is a church, a gas station, a liquor store and a dollar general right next to a huge apartment complex. I am finding I can relate to my new goats who really do not care for change.
Welcome to the circus.
It's a miracle you still are allowed to have any animals other than dogs and cats over there. I'm probably the furthest in the middle of nowhere out here in SE Montana. Just plan 4 hours if you are going to town for anything here. We have pigs, ducks, geese, guinea fowl and I can hear the wife biting at the bit for goats. Not that it's a problem, just I know it's a coming.

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are on 1 acre would really enjoy more. I find the city has less and less to offer. We bought our home 20 years ago and that, I believe, is the only reason I can have my little hobby farmish lifestyle. All of the new stuff has strict HOA. The zoning does not restrict us the HOA's do. Montana sounds lovely. I am originally from Michigan, the cold is not really my thing. However here the heat does add some extra chores as well. Especially this time of year. I am very much looking forward to the fall / winter garden. I plan to grow extra for the goats and chickens this year.

Thank you for the kind welcome.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are on 1 acre would really enjoy more. I find the city has less and less to offer. We bought our home 20 years ago and that, I believe, is the only reason I can have my little hobby farmish lifestyle. All of the new stuff has strict HOA. The zoning does not restrict us the HOA's do. Montana sounds lovely. I am originally from Michigan, the cold is not really my thing. However here the heat does add some extra chores as well. Especially this time of year. I am very much looking forward to the fall / winter garden. I plan to grow extra for the goats and chickens this year.

Thank you for the kind welcome.
You're welcome
I'm originally from SE Texas is why I said that and been all over Texas. Winters here are brutal compared to Michigan, we are pushing -60°F at times, add in the snow and it can get interesting.
I use to own in property in Texas, but seen it's best to wipe the slate clean and start over if I wanted to go larger. Started with 20 acres here and now up to 144, slowly building up to get more animals. Trying to get 300 acre attached to us, but got opposition that's unheard of.