Hello from VA

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Sycamore_Springs from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH! I just spent the last 4+ hours cleaning out one of my coops... 2 years of deep litter built up... Glad I only have to do that every 2 years or so :D =D

We have a great group of Goaties here and I'm sure you'll get to meet them straight away. Actually, quite a few are over in your neck of the woods... Lots of great info and shared experience as well in the various threads. Make yourself comfy and :caf browse around! If you have any questions or concerns, just yell them out, someone will be along to help!

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to BackYardHerds from Louisiana! :frowGlad you joined us!

I have goats and chickens as well. Do you have a specific breed of goat you want/like?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
welcome from Arklahoma. as you will find you soon enough goat math is a lot like chicken math. they worm their way into your heart and add up before you know it. I also have chickens and goats and ducks and sheep and rabbits. obviously I've never been very good at math. good at adding but really bad at subtraction.

Sycamore_Springs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Greetings @Sycamore_Springs from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH! I just spent the last 4+ hours cleaning out one of my coops... 2 years of deep litter built up... Glad I only have to do that every 2 years or so :D =D

We have a great group of Goaties here and I'm sure you'll get to meet them straight away. Actually, quite a few are over in your neck of the woods... Lots of great info and shared experience as well in the various threads. Make yourself comfy and :caf browse around! If you have any questions or concerns, just yell them out, someone will be along to help!
Thank you! We love Colorado! We've done the road trip thing twice out there, exploring about the entire state. We love Silverton, Taylor Park Reservoir, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Mesa Verde. It truly is the land of many uses! Something different to see in every direction!

We deep litter here too, but only clean out once a year if needed. New coop is about a days worth of work from being done, but all our energy has been focused on clearing pasture and grinding stumps so that we can seed the first part of March.

Sycamore_Springs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to BackYardHerds from Louisiana! :frowGlad you joined us!

I have goats and chickens as well. Do you have a specific breed of goat you want/like?
Well, we recently went to a youth expo put on by our local FFA and 4H. Our boys fell in love with some boers, and I must admit, they were pretty adorable. I still have a ton of research to do and… fences to build, so I guess you could say we are not 100% sure just yet. Our boys are young, but we may join 4h soon!

Sycamore_Springs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from North Carolina
Goats are great
What kind of goats are you considering?
We've made some contacts at the local youth expo put on by our county's FFA and really like the boers, but have much research to do yet… and secure fencing! My horse will be coming to our property in May, so one thing at a time for us right now. We're clearing a lot of pine trees on our property to make room for pasture and allow the slower growing hardwoods to take over. We love trees, just not pine trees. The limb or entire trees break in our ice and wind storms and where they grow, nothing else does.