HELP Downed Cow

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spending money on 4-5 tubes plus the vitamins and antibiotics are already half of what the vet costs, with only a slim chance of it helping. I have been where I gave up on eating a few meals years ago to get the vet out for an emergency call.... and lost the animal... but you do that if they are not responding to what you have normally done. If you cannot find a vet it's one thing... but if you have animals, there are times when you just have to figure it out to be able to pay for the care they need; one way or another. Burying an animal at this stage of the game with her being close to calving because you cannot afford to get the vet out is like taking a fist full of $100 bills out and burning them for no good reason.
I am sorry if that seems harsh, but when she did not respond within 24 hours, she really needed to be treated by a vet.
If I was close I would come try to help, but I am not. Surely there is a vet that you have used that would extend credit if it meant getting her treatment?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let me suggest this....there is a credit card called Care Credit. It can be used for human AND animal care expenses...plus meds or appliances for care, dental, glasses, etc.. Apply on line. Almost 100% of vets take it. They get pd, you have payments. Bonus -0 interest if pymt made each mo and will be pd in Full in 1yr. Yes.

We NEVER know when an emergency happens. I keep one of these cards active --even if nothing needed, buy some aspirin every 6 months! -- let me tell you, one year I had 2 mini horses needing a C-section in one week! 😖 Can you choke on a $10k bill 🥴😳 (fortunately I had the $ then --now?...might need a bullet)

In past I've put emergency $1300 dog surgery on it and glad I was able to! This summer I had a $400 emergency vet bill on a weekend, used it! Everyone with animals can check into this. It CAN save a life! Stretch your wallet, too. 😊

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Mini Horses ....forgot all about that..... I carried one for several years and used it a couple times when there wasn't any other way to pay for some things. The vet office had apps at the desk because vet care is getting so expensive especially with all people seem to spend on their house pets.
@Mstarr0121; I am sorry if I came across "hard".....it hurts me to see a family cow like that suffer.....
Please get the cow some vet care.....