HELP! Early Birth!!!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree they wouldn't have been viable at that age. There's really nothing you could have done. Sorry you lost them! :hugs

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yep those look 30 or 40 days premature, I would say based of photos I've seen of other late term abortions. How torturous for you that they lived a little while. Bless your heart, they were gorgeous. :hit

I've now had two births that were premature - Bella's hormonal abortion last spring and Hannah's just a week ago. Both of mine were right around 130 days gestation. I THINK if we had known Bella was going to abort, we might have saved hers (had we been there to catch them and give respiratory support) and obviously we were able to save Hannah's...any younger though and we never could have done it.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry for your losses :hugs I had a couple that died this year and they were bigger than that and they were 3-4wks early of course they were a standard breed and I think yours are Nigerian so that could be why. I had necropsies done and it came back nothing infectious, viral or bacterial which leads me to believe it was a mineral deficiency and since these goats had NEVER had a Bo-Se shot or copper before I bought them and scarfed the loose minerals I provided like candy I assume that was our problem. Bo-Se has been given as well as copper so hopefully we will keep up our regimen of minerals and they will be set and ready for proper kidding next year. good luck with your other doe :fl

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I actually had a live kid born this year that looked just like the boy when she was born, her eyes were open though and their hair is alot thinner (she had a normal coat), she was the first of trips and at first I wasn't sure she was alive, her tiny legs were like pencils, her two sisters were also small, but looked full term. Took her a week to walk, and during most of that time I thought I was going to lose her, but I'm happy to say she's three weeks old now, and doing great! Did you get a weight on them?

I've had one abort, about 3 months along, they looked similar to yours, but completely hairless and pink. They weren't much smaller then the little one I had this year. It always sucks to lose them, especially when you're so close.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im sorry. Poor girl. They were definatley too early to survive. Thanks for showing the pics. Great info to share. Glad you were able to do that. I think things like that are always good to share for new breeders etc. At least they get an idea. Im not trying to sound cold, but its very informative.

Im a believer that out of any tragedy there is always something good?

I do however agree with "20 Kids" I would treat the doe and buck. Great suggestion 20! Important!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the support, encouragement, and advice. :)

Miss Maybell is doing well. She appeared to have passed everything without a problem and is eating well. Treating all the animals with suggested remedies and crossing my fingers that in a couple of weeks I hope to have good news with my remaining doe! She is due to kid as a 2.5 year old first freshener! Her udder is coming in beautifully! So excited!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
Im sorry. Poor girl. They were definatley too early to survive. Thanks for showing the pics. Great info to share. Glad you were able to do that. I think things like that are always good to share for new breeders etc. At least they get an idea. Im not trying to sound cold, but its very informative.

Im a believer that out of any tragedy there is always something good?

I do however agree with "20 Kids" I would treat the doe and buck. Great suggestion 20! Important!
I so agree. As sad as it is, there is always something to be learned from the experience.

Now after it has all calmed down, I am really happy that I have the picture of them anyhow. Even though they didn't make it, they were still our first ever kids and they were so gorgeous. (The little buckling was a clone of his sire!)
:fl for next month!

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
themrslove said:
Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the support, encouragement, and advice. :)

Miss Maybell is doing well. She appeared to have passed everything without a problem and is eating well. Treating all the animals with suggested remedies and crossing my fingers that in a couple of weeks I hope to have good news with my remaining doe! She is due to kid as a 2.5 year old first freshener! Her udder is coming in beautifully! So excited!
:thumbsup Great to hear shes doing well!!! I wish you all the best with your next delivery!!!! May the goat stork bless you with all beautiful does!!!! :gig Or whatever you want!!!