Help me determine is my sheep have started “showing” in their pregnancies

MMGardens

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wanted fall lambs, so divided up 13 ewes between 3 rams in April. Rocky didn’t get down to business until August. Evidently he didn’t read the memo. Rocky had 5 ewes and bred the last one on September 10. He had them since APRIL!!!! AAARRGGHHH!

Coopers ewes look to be pregnant. Little Ringo only had 2, registered first fresheners and they maybe sorta halfway look pregnant.

Here’s a good article that explains the breeding process of which I obviously know nothing……..

It’s very possible that the two ewes that look so poorly, may not be bred. They might have been in such poor condition that they did not cycle or have been able to hold a pregnancy. But since they are sheep and love to make you crazy, they probably are bred.
I just got to go back and read that link you posted. Very interesting because I was told by a few local sheep and goat farmers that they usually breed the sheep right about the first week of July every year, which is quite close to the long daylight hours, and where I am our temps are very hot at that time, some of the hottest of the year and also very high relative humidity, so I dont know. I guess we will see next year when it’s my turn to play animal husbandry