HELP: MY HEIFER ATE PLASTIC SHOPPING BAG!

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Help, my 16 month old heifer just ate a plastic shopping bag right before my eyes, I was unable to pull it out; in 1 second, it was just gone! What should I do? Is this serious? HELP!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This too shall pass! I wouldn't worry about it. A shopping bag isn't likely to obstruct her bowels.

One of my friends had a big Holstein steer (1400 lbs) that ate a large amount of black plastic that they use to cover hay and silage piles. The steer quit eating completely, and would only drink a little. My friend didn't know what was wrong with the steer, and after treating him for a couple weeks, and several visits by the vet, he was ready to shoot the steer. He chased the steer out into a field, and noticed just a tiny bit of black plastic protruding from his anus. My friend began to pull on it, and pulled out over 30 feet of the stuff. The steer improved overnight, and was fine in a day or two. However, he had lost over 300 lbs during his fast.

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, well thanks, I feel a little bit more relieved now. The only thing is, she's not a 1400 lbs animal, in fact, she is small for her age. Do you think I should give my vet a call in the morning to let him know?