Help sick rabbit --- UPDATE and its not good

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we need some help. We have a very sick rabbit and we are totally new at this. We brought a doe home yesterday and she was totally fine however when we got up this morning she was barely alive. She was placed in a pen with another doe and buck yesterday and we put a full brussel sprout stock with leave in the pen. It was gone this morning. We know the buck was on her but we don't know if he totally exhausted her to near death or if if she could have od'd on the brussel plant. Could someone help please? She is separated from the other rabbits now.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If rabbits have not been bonded, they will often fight to the death. Can you tell if she has been fighting? Not sure about brussels sprouts.

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
no sign of her fighting but there was a couple of tuffs of hair in the pen but only guessing that came from the breeding part. Yesterday I did notice she was missing a couple of patches of hair around her neck area...but they weren't large areas.....and those patches were missing prior to her being introduced to these rabbits

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Symptoms? cannot start to help without knowing what is wrong ... exactly wrong. Missing tufts could easily be from fighting or breeding ... bucks often pull fur when they release.

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
she's barely moving, was found lying on her side, has no energy, can't stand or hold her head up, she will not drink even when assisted and she wimpers ... and we don't want to cull the rabbit unless need be,

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Any bloating or discharge? From anywhere. Laying on side ... breathing? Raggy, fast or nonexistent? Gasping? Movement? Can she/will she move HQ? Where did you get her?

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
dbunni said:
Any bloating or discharge? From anywhere. Laying on side ... breathing? Raggy, fast or nonexistent? Gasping? Movement? Can she/will she move HQ? Where did you get her?
well she is on her side and is breathing ok but very shallow ...but not able to even hold her head up.....

I just talked to a friend with some rabbit experiance...(as we have none) and she think that the doe is bloated from way to much greens (brussles) she said no food for 2 days only water

does this sound like it could be the problem...??

gosh i just feel so bad...

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
rabbits cannot release gas some foods do give them gas and cause bloating. to much greens can but not sure if sprouts do or not however if she is not used to greens it wouldn't take much to cause it. if they have bloat u pull all feed for 24 hours and only give water, hay and oats. after 24 hours u ween them back on pellets. u can use baby gas drops to releave the gas and pain.

when rabbits r sick to get them to eat and energy up use a syringe and drop feed them maple syrup or karo syrup. it will help with energy and get them wanting to eat again. feed bannanas, apples, oatmeal soft foods anything good u can get them to eat to keep them going. does she have normal poop, runny, or mucas clear stuff? is her belly bloated or sloshy sounding, or grinding teeth?

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ok well i just checked again on her..... have been doing it every 1/2 hr..helping her to see if i can get her to drink....BUT

I would like to thank yous for your help..but she just died....
I feel like i could just crawl into a hole myself...you have no idea how bad,sad,crappy,and REALLY MAD A MYSELF,,,embarrassed and just bummed out about this all at once.

CC.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. :hugs and fwiw, I have never heard tht about gas in bunns. I do know that youcan give them simethicone (?) (gasX) if they are bunged up. I've been raising rabbits for three years. the other two bunns are ok?