Help sick rabbit --- UPDATE and its not good

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm very sorry... I know it's hard but sometimes that's the only way we learn. In my four years of raising and breeding rabbits I have only lost two, and I've learned so much from those two. Now I know what I need to do when I come across it again. She's in a better place now and is not suffering anymore. :hugs

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Dont beat yourself up. Obviously you didnt know -- I have had rabbits for years and never knew that.

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been checking the other 2 bunns every couple hrs and they both seem fine ..just as any other day...but those 2 bunns have always been given greens daily..(what i was told when we got them from the fella)...
but after today ..and several phone calls i made to some other rabbit owners for help, and from some on here ,, they will and are NOW getting only pellets,hay,water ....and very "little" greens..

I will have to call this a huge learning experiance.....and i have learn alot from this.....alot more then just about ""greens""

thanks so much for all the help, It's been a rough day ...although I am new here i can tell already theres a great bunch of people here. I am sure I/We will have more questions later as we go..

thanks again

jay/kim

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First of all, I am so sorry about your bunny, I know how hard it can be too lose one especially when you don't know why.

For future reference...You cannot ever put adult rabbits together that have not been raised together. They are very territorial and as previously stated, will do their darndest to kill each other. For another, if you have a buck and doe together right now, you can be expecting babies. You can't house bucks and does together without having a litter every four weeks. The doe will be quite willing to breed within 72 hours of giving birth, and rabbits don't go into heat, they can/will breed ANY time.

If your rabbits have been used to getting greens, there is no need to take them away. It is only if they get a large amount suddenly that it can cause problems, or if they get things like cabbage, etc that tends to cause gas anyway. If you have a rabbit get gas, you can give them the baby gas drops, the simethicone that was mentioned in a previous post. I also have to disagree with your friend that told you to take away food for two days, you NEVER do that with a rabbit. Their guts need to keep moving, or you will have worse problems.

collector

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry about your rabbit, you could not have known if she had this condition before you got her or not. Keep an eye on the other two make sure they dont start showing signs of illness. It is good advice to seperate your buck and doe. Good luck!

CritterCatcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
the buck and does are all seperate now..they have there own cages now wire floor with the baby wire up the sides a bit...and the big hutch is going to be for raising the babys once there weaned...

its been 2 1/2 weeks now and i think (well pretty sure) it was all my doing..
I just had to know.

so I opened her up and yes her stomach was huge.. i think (if its possable) she over ate on the greens (i understand now about greens and rabbits) but i am talking about the amount and size..(I am a butcher by trade and have processed 1000's of rabbits,beef,pork ect and i know what i should look like inside and her stomach was huge...so..i blame myself...

all the other rabbit are fine and healthy eating and drinking normal.
CC

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
For future reference...You cannot ever put adult rabbits together that have not been raised together. They are very territorial and as previously stated, will do their darndest to kill each other.
I have heard this, and I am sure many people have experience with this exact thing, probably horror stories :( but I have always done this-carefully of course- and never had any problems, even with in tact males. Only once did I have to neuter one for aggression, everyone else got along in a larger pen. Maybe it was the size of the pen....

Sorry you had to go through all this.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
tiffanyh said:
For future reference...You cannot ever put adult rabbits together that have not been raised together. They are very territorial and as previously stated, will do their darndest to kill each other.
I have heard this, and I am sure many people have experience with this exact thing, probably horror stories :( but I have always done this-carefully of course- and never had any problems, even with in tact males. Only once did I have to neuter one for aggression, everyone else got along in a larger pen. Maybe it was the size of the pen....

Sorry you had to go through all this.
I too have put many rabbits together that have not been raised together and they have got along great! I'm sure not all rabbits will get along but mine always do! Here's a picture of my four does when they were housed together! I had two Cremes, a Champagne and a Holland Lop all in the same pen. The Holland acted like the mom, always cleaning the other girls. :)

34t7nsw.jpg