Help with baby bunnies?

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My mini Rex doe had 7 kits they are 4 weeks old now very healthy, I just have few questions:

1. At what age can they be separated from mom?
2. Can I cut the baby rabbits nails?
3. Is their any special food I need feed the baby's?
4. Can I give babys a warm bath? (their house got wet from rain & they stink like static water)

Thank you! :)

LukeMeister

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on the babies! :)

I'd say 5 to 6 weeks at least. 7 or 8 weeks would be great.
Yes as long as you're very careful, because if you cut to deep, they can bleed a lot.
No, you can feed them the same stuff as their mom.
I would say yes, as long as you blow dry/towel dry them off completely, so they don't freeze.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO NOT wash bunnies with REX fur!!!! Try some baby wipes but please do not bathe them.

Just clip the tips of their nails, wrap them in a towel to keep them still.

Feed hay and pellets, I separate at 6 to 7 weeks, just during the day to give Mom a much needed break, if I have a smaller bunny I will let it stay a few extra days.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini Rex have claws like razor blades, so I understand you wanting to clip them, but at 4 weeks, all you can remove is a tiny amount at the tip. Hold the paw up near a bright light so you can see where the pink area is, and stay out of that, or it will hurt and it will bleed.

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A swipe of a nail file can be sufficient. If they are eating pellets and drinking water, you can separate them at four weeks, though most of wait to 8 wks or so. As soon as they can get out of the nest box, have food and water available to them. They will still nurse, but also eat pellets.

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I got them cut & move them to their own hutch except for 2 that were still small they are ready to go to good homes now :)

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DO NOT wash bunnies with REX fur!!!! Try some baby wipes but please do not bathe them.

Just clip the tips of their nails, wrap them in a towel to keep them still.

Feed hay and pellets, I separate at 6 to 7 weeks, just during the day to give Mom a much needed break, if I have a smaller bunny I will let it stay a few extra days.

I have a side question...is it bad for Rex rabbits to get wet? Our buck sometimes free ranges in the backyard and he's been in the dew. I think the kids also got him with the watering hose once.
Does it change their fur?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a side question...is it bad for Rex rabbits to get wet? Our buck sometimes free ranges in the backyard and he's been in the dew. I think the kids also got him with the watering hose once.
Does it change their fur?
Definitely not good. Is it matting? You can groom (gently ) with a lava rock. They sell them in pets stores for chichillas.n

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any matting. Though he doesn't seem as soft as our new Rex...

Really? A lava rock? That's a cool trick. I'll keep it in mind!

RoseRiverRabbitry

Just born
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any matting. Though he doesn't seem as soft as our new Rex...

Really? A lava rock? That's a cool trick. I'll keep it in mind!

What color is your other rex and what color is your new rex?
A dilute will be softer in general than a non dilute.
You shouldn't bathe rex as it strips their fur of essential oils, thus changing the texture of their pelts. But as they molt they will get their normal texture/softness back

Latest posts