Help with Bass Equipment Universal Sani-Nest nest boxes

Bry310

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got these Universal Sani-Nest nest boxes from Bass Equipment. I will not be using them in the subterranean configuration, but rather just placing them inside the cage.

Does anyone have experience using these as such? I noticed the perforation in the front of the liner. I’m assuming that is to be removed, but Is the box place in the case with the box gate completely closed? It is the gate left open?

Thank you
IMG_2073.jpeg
IMG_2074.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 25

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Huh.. Good question. I wouldn't have thought to use these inside a cage because the design is really more for a hanging setup. Did they come with any instructions? As an in-cage box I would pull the perforated part, tape the edge of the liner up so it still forms 4 walls to keep kits inside, and leave the drop gate down. Make sure you put some hay inside to line it, the cardboard can be slippery. your doe may also like having the back half covered so it feels more like a safe den.

Bry310

Just born
Reaction score
Huh.. Good question. I wouldn't have thought to use these inside a cage because the design is really more for a hanging setup. Did they come with any instructions? As an in-cage box I would pull the perforated part, tape the edge of the liner up so it still forms 4 walls to keep kits inside, and leave the drop gate down. Make sure you put some hay inside to line it, the cardboard can be slippery. your doe may also like having the back half covered so it feels more like a safe den.
There were some very basic instructions, but not too detailed on the setup. They were mostly for assembly. But they’re advertised as being used for either subterranean or in cage. The way they read makes me think they stay closed up completely, but the 8” sides seem too tall for the doe to be climbing in and out of.

I sent an email to the company asking this question and am waiting on a reply. I noticed there was a lot of discussion on this site about these boxes, but nothing on how exactly they should be setup.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used these nesting boxes and found them well worth the money. I raised Calis for 12 years and had no problems with the boxes. I used them inside the cage and not under the cage as I didn't want to cut the cage.

Couple tips you may find useful...
Save the cardboard liner that originally came with the box to use as a pattern and cut your own liners out of cardboard. 1) cardboard boxes are not as slick as Bass's liner, 2) cardboard is cheap especially if you get deliveries, and 3) you throw away the entire content when the kits decide to not stay in the box any more... just take the box out, open the front and drag out the cardboard liner and used nest.

Oh, make sure your edges go up under the triangular wire at the top to keep the doe from dragging the liner into the interior.

Now, as to your dwarf doe as oppose to the does I had, bet she can get in the box anyway. Is she long enough in the body to put her paws on the top of the box. If so she should have little problem getting in the box. The maternity urges are very stong with these girls.

God luck with your breeding. Pictures please and thank you of any future litters will always be appreciated.