Help

Hcarder

Just born
Reaction score
We purchased what we thought were AGH/Kunekune cross. Started with 2 gilts, boar and bar. These were purchased when they were approximately 3 months old. We purchased with the intent to breed and butcher.
I have since been informed they are more than likely potbellies. I’ve only been around the large feeder pigs so I am lost here. We wanted AGH, or Kunekune.
Attached are some photos. I know they are over weight, that was the initial question I had for the people who told me they weren’t AGH/Kunekune.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5875.jpeg
    IMG_5875.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5872.jpeg
    IMG_5872.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5873.jpeg
    IMG_5873.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5874.jpeg
    IMG_5874.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 26

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Potbellies. Yep. I'd say butcher and start over. :idunno

While all three are "lard pigs" the pot bellies are more so. Hey, render it! 👍. The meat will be fattier but still good.

The AGHs take 12-15 months to mature but, excellent meat!! Boars don't carry taint, either. So fill your freezer and welcome a new family to the farm. 😊 They are a smaller pig but mine were 140-150 hang weight and what I'll buy for next feeders. Yes, good moms. When I sold my 2 sows, one had a litter of 7 with her. One buyer took them all. Nice.

Hcarder

Just born
Reaction score
Potbellies. Yep. I'd say butcher and start over. :idunno

While all three are "lard pigs" the pot bellies are more so. Hey, render it! 👍. The meat will be fattier but still good.

The AGHs take 12-15 months to mature but, excellent meat!! Boars don't carry taint, either. So fill your freezer and welcome a new family to the farm. 😊 They are a smaller pig but mine were 140-150 hang weight and what I'll buy for next feeders. Yes, good moms. When I sold my 2 sows, one had a litter of 7 with her. One buyer took them all. Nice.
This is the boar. What do you think he might be?

Attachments

• IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 26

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks potbelly mixed. Might be some bit of kune there. Side view would have been better. Personally, I'm not a fan of kune kune. 🤷 Just not impressed. The AGHs have a more "big pig" body, not so much excess gut. Plus the KK supposedly don't root as much but, still do root. Shorter nose. 😄

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with @Mini Horses . The first pictures are pot bellies, the second picture is maybe a cross... they are not "overweight" for being pot bellies... they all look like over fed "lard asses" . Put them all in the freezer or whatever... they are not worth much of anything on the market. If you have had "real hogs"... then you know. I am not a real fan of any of the "smaller breeds" but have not raised or eaten them. Time to get them to killing size is one thing... and my Hamps and Berk crosses did alot of "grazing also....
I have had Hampshires, Yorkshires, Chester Whites, a few Poland Chinas, Durocs , Berkshires, and crosses. Hamps , Durocs and Berks are my choices. Berks marble a little better... Hamps and Durocs and the cross are very prolific and make good eating. We mostly used a Duroc boar on Hamp females as that was what was available... and then crossed them back with Berkshires. If I were to go with just one breed it would be Berkshires because of the meat... Tamworths are a little more of a grazing breed, and less fat... Herefords make a nice hog also. Had a couple Landrace crosses once also.
Hogs will kill out nicely at 200 lbs. so the carcass is not too terribly big... and only take 5-8 months to do so without breaking the bank feed wise.