FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alright. Any other tips? Advise?

cstafford93514@yahoo.com

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
FarmerBoy24,
WEAN THE KIDS!:lol: Pen them away from mom and milk mom 2x a day about 12 hours apart. The kids no longer need the milk and you want it, right?
Feed her all the hay she can eat and grain her on the milk stand. The kids need all the hay they can eat but just a little grain.
They all need vacinations, worming from time to time, hooves trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, loose minerals and free choice baking soda.
Enjoy,
Carol

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cstafford93514@yahoo.com said:
FarmerBoy24,
WEAN THE KIDS!:lol: Pen them away from mom and milk mom 2x a day about 12 hours apart. The kids no longer need the milk and you want it, right?
Feed her all the hay she can eat and grain her on the milk stand. The kids need all the hay they can eat but just a little grain.
They all need vacinations, worming from time to time, hooves trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, loose minerals and free choice baking soda.
Enjoy,
Carol
I take exception with the free choice baking soda...I dont do it. But this is a interesting thread to read on baking soda free choice. I feed my kids grain. And milk my doe 1 daily and let her wean her kids.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6542&p=1

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What is baking soda for? Stomachaches?

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerBoy24 said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6542&p=1

Read the thread I included. It will explain why some people including myself dont chose to use it free choice.

Side note: How much milk you want for yourself and how and when to wean is a personal choice. It all depends on what you want from your herd.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
FarmerBoy24 said:
You will see my comment on copper deficiency....one of my does would not get preggers, in spite of living with the buck. I'll know soon (blood tests in two weeks) but I'm fairly certain she is pregnant this year....still jet black. I keep a box of baking soda in the barn and will hand feed it to anyone who looks TOO big after eating in the pasture, especially early in the spring. It is very rare, though. I have also made baking soda balls to dose a sick baby upon the advice of people here and am sure I saved her because of the advice (thanks, everyone!) But I don't leave it out full-time anymore, either.

But do your own research and make your own decisions. You can go back and forth, too, and see what works for you. You will find that there are many topics that people have opposite opinions on, so don't get too overwhelmed.