hi from washington county

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hi, im finn. im in upstate NY with a small homestead. I have a nubian and oberhasli doe, nigerian buck and finnsheep with one finnx. i also have ducks, chickens and i would love meat rabbits in the future.
i bought this property in 2021 with no intentions of getting into sheep, and my now ex wanted goats. we had no idea on pasture management and converting ****ty shale hill woods into pasture, ive come a long way however still working on creating good forage for my animals.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas! I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Your homestead sounds like a work in progress that has already come a long way. It takes time to develop good pasture. Don’t give up and keep working on it!

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas! I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Your homestead sounds like a work in progress that has already come a long way. It takes time to develop good pasture. Don’t give up and keep working on it!
im currently being invaded by pokeweed, brambles,nettles and young silver maples. it never ends. the pokeweed won't be touched by any of my animals so i end up having to get it all out by hand. thankfully I only have 3ac so its doable but I'm so over it!

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hi, im finn. im in upstate NY with a small homestead. I have a nubian and oberhasli doe, nigerian buck and finnsheep with one finnx. i also have ducks, chickens and i would love meat rabbits in the future.
i bought this property in 2021 with no intentions of getting into sheep, and my now ex wanted goats. we had no idea on pasture management and converting ****ty shale hill woods into pasture, ive come a long way however still working on creating good forage for my animals.
Welcome,I also have a sheep,nigerian dwarf goats,ducks and chickens (I also have rabbits)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poke is actually good to eat. I’ve picked and prepared it many times. Pick the tender new leaves, wash and bring to a boil. Strain the water out. Bring to a boil and drain that water also. Bring to a boil again, season to taste and enjoy. I like greens! The berries are good for arthritis. Dried, swallow whole, don’t chew. The seeds are toxic, but pass through harmlessly. Now do you feel any different about poke? LOL

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Poke is actually good to eat. I’ve picked and prepared it many times. Pick the tender new leaves, wash and bring to a boil. Strain the water out. Bring to a boil and drain that water also. Bring to a boil again, season to taste and enjoy. I like greens! The berries are good for arthritis. Dried, swallow whole, don’t chew. The seeds are toxic, but pass through harmlessly. Now do you feel any different about poke? LOL
I would feel better about it if it wasnt completely overpowering everything else in the pasture! there is only so much I could possibly eat to battle this plant Lmao