Holachicka's first kidding thread. FINALLY baby pics!

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I notice Honey had some discharge today. Anyone know what this is? Mucous plug? simple discharge?

Some of it is on her tail some on her, um, hoo hoo.... :hide

2161_035.jpg

And here is Emma lookin fat and happy!

2161_047.jpg

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks like mucous to me. Especially that stuff on her tail.

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:sick Well. They can loose their mucous plug many weeks in advance, right? I know with humans, it can be regenterated so I'm not worried.

It's so neat to see the different belly shapes on my girls. Emma is a beach ball, Lucy is traight out to the sides and Honey hangs down low.

Anyone have any experience with Toggenburg milk? I've heard that it can be pretty goaty, but it depends on the goat. I'm hoping hers isn't funky, because then we'd probably have to sell her. :(

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with it, but I have a friend with 2 Toggs, and one of them recently freshened, and she says the milk is sweet and good. I think that milk that tends to be goaty, gets goatier the older it gets. Maybe you won't have any problem with it, or maybe you will have to use it faster. I bet it will taste fine when used fresh though.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
HRMPH! I think someone made that up about Toggs so that they could have the Toggs all to themselves at a cheaper price.

Really though, I think it depends on what the goat eats.

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's good to hear that! :clap That's been bothering me for a while. Plus she looks like she's getting a really nice udder, that would be a bummer if she gave funky milk. Last year, when May (alpine who miscarried this year) was in milk, she was producing 3/4 of a gallon per day (one milking a day) and my kids and DH went through it all every day. :barnie I just wanted to make cheese!!!! So I'm not so worried about the milk sitting around getting old! Just hoping three does in milk will produce enough for my milk fiends...

I'm just wondering how much milk I can expect from my FF's. So dissapointed that my big milker is out of commission this year. Though I will probably keep a hopefull but not expectant eye on her until her original due date passes :rolleyes: can't help my wishful thinking!

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Say cheese!

2161_016.jpg

Emma's udder, she's due in 12 days!

2161_4-1emmaudd.jpg

Honey's udder, she has a whole 25 days to go!

2161_4-1honeyudd.jpg

Honey's udder looks so much more developed. Does it mean anything?

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Togg milk is actually better for cheesemaking than drinking. It tends to be a little more strong tasting, so it sounds like that will work out great for you.

Just keep the goats away from any wild onions or bitter greens before you milk them. Apparently those strong flavors can go into the taste of the milk. Oh, and also keep the buck away. The milk can taste "bucky" if they are housed near a buck. Never experienced it myself, and glad to say it! lol Sounds like it'd be pretty nasty!

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awww Man:hit. We'll have to wait and see then. I do like to make cheese, but I don't really want the strong flavored cheese. Luckily I don't have a buck or any of those strong flavored weeds, they pretty much mow down the pasture and brush and rely on hay. EXPENSIVE. but putting up more fencing is an expense that will have to wait for a while too.

We built our milkstand this weekend, and I started training the girls on it today. they were good! Emma and Lucy got a little scared, but were ok! Honey on the other hand was an ANGEL! Sheesh, this goat will put up with anything!

Emma's little belly!:love

2161_4-3emma.jpg

On a side note, Honey's ligaments are gone. She's due towards the end of the month, but I never saw her bred, just the cuddling with the buck... Just wondering because her udder is more developed, she keeps loosing her mucous plug... Hrrmmm... :idunno

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am officially going nuts. All I do is go outside and stare at my goats. looking for any little difference from the day before!

Yesterday I shaved some goat butts. :lol: It's only their second time on the stand so I didn't push them past their comfort level too much. They all hopped right on there with no problems though!