Homesteading in S.E. Ontario, Canada.

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My name is Adri. I am a mother to 6 children, ranging from 3 to 16 years old. Our family lives in Southeastern Ontario on a piece of property with 40 apple trees and garden that measures 100 X 200 feet. We have 2 german shorthaired pointers, 3 outdoor cats, 3 Saanen goats (2 does, 1 buck), and 30-something chickens in a mixed-breed flock (Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks, Polish, Catalanas, Jersey Giants, Barnevelders, Chanteclers) and 1 Silkie broody hen. We also raise turkeys seasonally and one of our does gave birth to a buckling that we are going to sell. We would like to purchase the 4 acres next to us to raise a few cattle for beef and keep a dairy cow. We are working towards self-sufficiency and dream of being off-the-grid someday. We only moved here from the city 5 short years ago, and some days I can't believe how far we've come in 5 years. Our old lifestyle seems a lifetime away. I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody here.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! I am pretty new here myself, sounds like you have a bunch going on.
:welcome

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the best website on the web. I have learned so much here. There are some very learned people here, with tons of experience with various animals. There is no substitue for experience. It's wonderful that they are willing to share their knowledge and help us newbies.

I think your place and family sounds like a little bit of heaven!! You are one lucky woman, 6 children, what a blessing!!

DonnaBelle

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. I do feel very blessed. I agree, experience is best, but in lieu of it, advice from those with experience will have to do. I find it so ironic that I have to turn to the internet to learn about old-fashioned homesteading, but sites like Backyardchickens, and this one I'm sure, have been a wealth of knowledge for this city girl as I find my feet out here in the country.