Hoof trimmers

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know everyone will have a different answer and that is good. I have had my goats for 4 weeks today and will soon need to trim their hoofs. I need to know what brand/type of trimmers would you all suggest? Ones that won't break my piggy bank please. I have seen some for about 20 bucks and then others for 80. Which ones are good and which aren't any good. I need a pair that are easy to use, getting arthritis in my hands so need something easy to use. Thanks so much for your answering this. Deb

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Any are good as long as they're sharp. Dull or rusted blades are useless.

We have the expensive ones with the rotating handle--they're marketed to be easier on the hand (my sheep live at my neighbor's and my almost 80-yr old neighbor bought them) but personally I don't like them. I find the rotating handle annoying.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I actually have a pair of Fiskars garden/yard clippers. They are VERY sharp. And I've had good experiences with the fiskars products. I found them on a clearance rack for 3.00 off season!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have the orange handled ones and small goats, so they work good for me. They were not very expensive. I think about $15 on Amazon.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As it's already been mentioned, as long as a trimmer is sharp, it'll work for you. Of course you want something that is comfortable in your hand and easy to maneuver.

When I first got my goats, I advertised on CL for someone to come and show me how to trim hooves. A man responded, and he was very good at his craft. His choice of trimmer was a "floral" trimming tool made by Florian. I bought the same one and if I recall it was about $25 plus shipping. It worked fine, but like all tools, it eventually became dull from use.

I was at Tractor Supply and was rummaging through the bargain table and found these shears made by Black and Decker. They are garden trimmers as well and not made specifically for goats or animals. They are sold as a set and only cost $10. They are great! They are made in China (I know that's a deal breaker for some) and they are a nice weight, comfortable and the blades are very sharp. They allow me to do a great job trimming hooves. I bought two more sets to have on hand.

All tools get dull from repeated use. I'm not discounting the more expensive shears, but I know that I would not be able to do a good job re-sharpening the blades and if I had to pay someone to do it, that would defeat the purpose of being economical.

Good luck in your choice.

goattrimmers.jpg

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. Guess I will go to the store and find something that is easy to handle for me and get a couple of pairs so that when they go dull I have another set to fall back on. I really appreciate all the advice. I didn't know if there was one pair that were better than others but sounds like it is just a personal preference as to your hand and how you use them. THANKS.

So new to goats and more questions but will take care of this one first. THANKS ever so much. Deb

cricketpi

Just born
Reaction score
The easiest pair to use, considering the arthritis issue, is the pair that someone else is using. It is difficult to hold a jabbing hind leg and trim while kneeling. I got mine from Tractor supply for under 20$ and they work just fine.