Hoof trimmers

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got new ones at TSC last week - they were in the bargain bin, look JUST LIKE the black handled ones that GoatHerd posted (the pruning shear type, not the pointy almost scissors one) except they ARE GREEN handled...guess what...ONLY $5 FOR THEM!!!! AND SHARP AS HECK...because let me tell you how I missed a hoof and NEARLY took my thumb off! But, like a true champ, I kept trimming...my husband came out and thought I had cut the goat!

OH! and something my ferrier taught me...get AS MUCH DIRT off and out of the hooves as you can BEFORE you trim and your tools stay sharper MUCH longer! My last pair of trimmers was under $20 at Walmart, same pruning shear type trimmers, and they last like 18months...I think I am going to go back to TSC and get one more bargain pair...if they are sharp enough to take a thumb tip off....they'll be sharp enough to trim hooves for a while...the other pair was NEVER as sharp...

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
EggsForIHop, Sorry about your thumb but great to know about the trimmers. I appreciate all the detail about keeping them clean and lasting longer. The trimmers are such a needed tool and you need them to work for yourself as well as the goat, don't want any bad experiences. I am going out this afternoon so will do some looking and see what TS has to offer and will order different catalogs and do more checking. Might get a pair today just so I have something to use soon. You all are so helpful and I do THANK YOU for stepping up to help me. Much appreciated. THANKS , Deb

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Looks like it should work. Whoever tries it first, let the rest of us know. I am going to get a pair of trimmers later today and maybe order this too. THANKS, Deb

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mitransplant said:
Looks like it should work. Whoever tries it first, let the rest of us know. I am going to get a pair of trimmers later today and maybe order this too. THANKS, Deb
I put one in my shopping cart on Amazon, Hopefully I will get to try it soon.

The knife sharpener is so easy to use, by son has been using it for a couple years know to sharpen his pocket knives. We give them to his 10 year old friends all the time for gifts to sharpen their pocket knives.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be something to check into more. I showed the hubby and he told me to hang on to the info and after we get the trimmers, he might send for this. SO you will get your before I do but let me know how it works as I still will need something to sharpen mine with. Leaving in about 2 hours to head to Springfield but in the mean time I have to give the grand daughter a shower and I have to get one as well as get us both dressed and hair combed. Hers is longer than mine so will be harder to do. Be back on later this after noon or early evening. Thanks again for the information. Deb

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
I actually have a pair of Fiskars garden/yard clippers. They are VERY sharp. And I've had good experiences with the fiskars products. I found them on a clearance rack for 3.00 off season!
Fiskars also has a wonderful life-time warranty on their products, and they DO honor it!