Horns or no horns?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I know that some goats are bad with their horns and can be dangerous. I'm sure that if people are mean or abusive with the horns then they could get like that but just handling them by their horns does not make them mean or dangerous with them. Almost everyone of my goats have horns and while none of them really enjoy their horns being grabbed it is not because it hurts them or any other reason besides the fact that they don't want to be restrained. No goat is going to really like it when you have full control over them and they have no say. A lead lets them feel like they are still loose so they won't fight as much. I have had goats that were a bit wild but if you grab their horns and just hold them until they know you are boss then they change. The become a bit more docile and better with you. I have one goat that was hard to catch and used to do anything to get away even when grabbed. After a while of catching and just holding until she settles down, she now is very good about it. If I just have a finger on her horn she will just sit there. She knows that I am over her and will not just let her run away because she wants too. I also have several goats that are the biggest loves in the world and holding or pulling them (if needed) by there horns has never made them any different.They are just as big a love and may even be nicer. All animals must have your respect and when they do they can be the best goats, dogs, ect.

So I have never seen a case where handling by their horns has made them any different than what they were. And no, despite what some people say, it does not hurt a goat to handle them by their horns. They are basically and extension of their skull and is part of them, unlike a deer, for example. If just handling them by horns hurt then why would a goat ever butt heads? Whether it be fighting or playing. If it hurt do you really think that they would throw all their weight into a butt and smash heads and horns together? Trust me, it does not hurt them.

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I know that some goats are bad with their horns and can be dangerous. I'm sure that if people are mean or abusive with the horns then they could get like that but just handling them by their horns does not make them mean or dangerous with them. Almost everyone of my goats have horns and while none of them really enjoy their horns being grabbed it is not because it hurts them or any other reason besides the fact that they don't want to be restrained. No goat is going to really like it when you have full control over them and they have no say. A lead lets them feel like they are still loose so they won't fight as much. I have had goats that were a bit wild but if you grab their horns and just hold them until they know you are boss then they change. The become a bit more docile and better with you. I have one goat that was hard to catch and used to do anything to get away even when grabbed. After a while of catching and just holding until she settles down, she now is very good about it. If I just have a finger on her horn she will just sit there. She knows that I am over her and will not just let her run away because she wants too. I also have several goats that are the biggest loves in the world and holding or pulling them (if needed) by there horns has never made them any different.They are just as big a love and may even be nicer. All animals must have your respect and when they do they can be the best goats, dogs, ect.

So I have never seen a case where handling by their horns has made them any different than what they were. And no, despite what some people say, it does not hurt a goat to handle them by their horns. They are basically and extension of their skull and is part of them, unlike a deer, for example. If just handling them by horns hurt then why would a goat ever butt heads? Whether it be fighting or playing. If it hurt do you really think that they would throw all their weight into a butt and smash heads and horns together? Trust me, it does not hurt them.
Thaks for your insight. I believe you about it not hurting them, but not sure if I'd risk putting them in their place by their horns. It is a cardinal sin in the world of pack goats where they need to be very sociable and people friendly.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
When I say put into place I mean just holding them still. Nothing more than that. I would never strike or do anything other than just hold their horns. That can make a goat mean for sure and/or dangerous. And I do not believe handling them by there horns will make them unfriendly. That has never happened to me and it has improved my "relationship" with several of mine, so I would argue it helps with that.

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
When I say put into place I mean just holding them still. Nothing more than that. I would never strike or do anything other than just hold their horns. That can make a goat mean for sure and/or dangerous. And I do not believe handling them by there horns will make them unfriendly. That has never happened to me and it has improved my "relationship" with several of mine, so I would argue it helps with that.
Didn't think you meant anything rough. You have me thinking that if done correctly, maybe it could help correct some behavior. I will run it by some of my experienced pack goat buddies. Unfortunatley, when I have seen people grab goats horns, they just walk up to a goat minding it's own business and grab the horns and act like they are playing with a dog and yank them around and shake them around. Like they think the goat is gonna enjoy it. That's why it bugs the heack outta me.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I would agree that that is wrong and that you should not do that at all. But just for handling, moving, holding then it is fine and does not mess with the goat.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, horns look very good on a goat.. But, they are not welcome at my little farm.
I have 2 young children that love playing with the goats, they climb on the stumps and wire reels with the goats and play for hours. Horns can be very dangerous in that situation.
Also, my wifes uncle has goats with horns, and they get caught in the fence quite often, and are stuck there until he gets home from work.

So therefore my vote is for: No, I do not like horns (even though they look very good)

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All 6 of my goats have horns. I love them. Great to hold onto and for protection. I have been hurt a couple of times. But it has always been because I got lazy and did not pay attention. I was told when I 1st got goats to always Remember Respect The Horns. I try to do this. My goats are not aggressive so I am lucky.

Melwynnd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have to vote for no horns. I had Nubians with no horns when we were in the woods. My queen could defend herself just fine and nailed the neighbor's dog hard enough to make her limp without any horns. I used collars to catch them.

Now that I'm living in town and making plans to get a couple of Nigerians, I think being hornless makes people think of them more like dogs than goats. My enclosure would be fine for horns, nothing for them to catch. Also, I think it's easier to find good homes for the babies if they are disbudded, at least around here.

Sherry