Horrible tragedy :-(

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry that happened to you !! It is hard to believe someone would be that cruel to leave those dogs free to roam.

jambunny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The farmer needs to be charged with cruelty to animals. Hopefully, the animal control officer will follow through. If he just left them doubt he could or would pay for your losses. So awful.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is devastating I am so sorry.
Everybody loses in this situation. Your pets lost their lives, the dogs will probably lose theirs(killing livestock often leads to a dog being considered a dangerous dog). Y
ou and your family for having to live with the heartache.
BUT the only one who doesn't pay is the dogs owner. I bet they can't trace him and if they do and he says their not his. The case will probably be dropped.
It is hard to prove ownership if nobody admits it. I volunteered at our local shelter for years. Dogs that were living skeletons in backyards, Knock on the door. "what dog?"

Neighbours won't talk

Dogs a stray

case closed.

I do hope you and your animals get some justice. I am so sorry this happened.

farmergal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's awful! I am so sorry :hugs We put so much into our animals, both time and emotion, and losses like that are hard to bear. Whoever left those dogs was worse than irresponsible, and it's not fair that you had to bear the brunt of his horrible choice.

At the the very least, you could try filing a claim with your local law enforcement. If you don't think that will work (you probably know how effective or ineffective your local department would be), someone in the neighborhood has to know the farmer's name and current address, maybe you can contact him -- I wouldn't recommend calling, but I know it would make me feel better to write a letter and send it. (Or write a letter, let it sit a few days, re-read it, see if it's reasonable, and THEN send it. Make sure you take the high road... emphasizing the loss you suffered and not heaping too much blame.) If nothing else, you'll be able to say that you did everything you could, and while it will still hurt, at least you'll be doing something about it.

I don't know, maybe sending a letter is a bad idea. Maybe others can give their opinion on that. But I know it would personally help me to write it, whether or not I ended up sending it... just to get those feelings out there on the page.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. Why do people have to be so stupid some times and just abandon their creatures. :somad I feel so bad for you, you raised your animals as pets like we do and that makes it harder when something like this happens because they are not just livestock they are you pets your friends.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Whether pets or livestock things like this are devastating. Some one really needs to find the fool, tie him to a tree, and forget to feed him for a few days. Then make sure he is banned from ever owning an animal of any sort again.

ludemank

Just born
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss!:hit I work for the local humane society at a discount spay/neuter clinic and we see alot of cases of animals being abandoned. I have also lost a bottle baby recently and I know the pain of that loss. You will be in my prayers.

Latest posts