How do you palpate a doe?

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
My jersey woolie doe is 11 days pregnant. How do I palpate her? Also, How do I pick her up? She is very moody and hops away when ever I try to get her. I tried to pick her up by the scruff of her neck and scoop her up, but it doesn't work and she just hops away.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Feel her belly - like deep massage. Either use both hands, or feel between your third finger and thumb. Right now you should be able to feel her poops - they feel solid. Fetus feels like an "egg yolk in a ziploc bag" and will slip through your fingers. Every day they get bigger, the easier it will be to feel them.

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How hard do you push? I've never been able to feel anything in a doe, but I don't think I'm pushing hard enough. Always scared that I'll hurt her.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I felt 3 of them! and they moved! :clap Does that mean she will only have 3 babies? I had to have a long conversation with her before she finally was relaxed enough. I have chicks due to the same day she is due so I hope to have lots of babies! :love

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No it is very possible she has more and you just didn't feel them. It is easy for one or two or more to escape detection!