How I got my Cow on.

Cara

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Great save. I just have one point to make though ;) HE cannot be a COW!!

birdlover

Just born
Reaction score
What a wonderful story!! I'm so happy he made it (thanks to YOU!!!). I love the picture of him and your son on the sand pile. Soooo adorable!!

treehouse

Just born
Reaction score
So how should one go about getting a calf and at what point are they able to go straight to grain so you do not have to deal with a bottle.
I am new to this cow thing and ony have 2 acres for grazing is that enough for one milk type cow?:)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

In order to find a calf, I would check your local paper, Craigslist, feedmill (they may know of someone selling) or place a wanted ad.

I am a dairy farmer. My calves are on the bottle for roughly 3 days and then I train them to a calf pail. They have a calf pail with grain placed in front of them too. When they start eating 3/4 to 1 full pail a day we take them off milkreplacer. This usually occurs at about 2 months of age. I believe they say it's one bag of milkreplacer per calf-remember as they get older you decrease the amount of milkreplacer you mix with the water.

Generally, the recommendation is 1.5 acres of pature land per cow. It does depend on your amount of rainfall, soil, and type of grasses on pasture though.

Here is a general feeding thread that may help you.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

What breed are you considering?

treehouse

Just born
Reaction score
I am not sure of ra breed yet but I have been reading about
minature size herefords? wha tdo you think?:)
Thank you for the info

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you looking for a beef cow or a milk cow? I ask because you said "milk type cow" a hereford is beef. We have a breed page that separates them-look for the link in my signature.

treehouse

Just born
Reaction score
I had thought they were but I guess I have alot to learn I am looking for a Milking cow.

Latest posts