How long will babies live without being fed?

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am frustrated with this first time doe that will not take care of her babies. Most of the first time moms I've had fail, do so because they have babies on the wire and they get too cold. If I am able to find the babies in time and get them in a nest box, the momma does what she is supposed to and they survive.

But this time is different. She had the babies on the wire. We got them gathered up and put into the nest box. She pulled no hair so we used dryer lent and cotton balls. They were born Sat and she just wont feed them. After the 1st night, it was obvious she hadn't even touched the nest box. Today, the babies still hadn't been fed so we put her in the box with them and put a board over it so she couldn't get out for a little while. I though maybe if the babies could just nurse once the instincts would kick in. She wouldn't be still and let them nurse, even though they tried and tried.

We have another doe that has 4 wk old kits. We held her still and tried to get them to nurse but she freaked and wouldn't let them.

I don't think they are going to make it. She's not feeding them. How long will they go before they die. I hate the thought of just waiting for them to die. I won't rebreed her until I have at least 1 more doe ready to breed in case I need to foster next time.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
12-28 hrs I would say depending on the shape they were in when born. I have found it not to be unusual for the first litter to be unsuccessful.
Personally I would turn around and breed her again if they all die.
I am sorry for your loss. Unfortunately it is part of it. Hopefully she will figure it out the 2nd time.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Legacy said:
I am frustrated with this first time doe that will not take care of her babies. Most of the first time moms I've had fail, do so because they have babies on the wire and they get too cold. If I am able to find the babies in time and get them in a nest box, the momma does what she is supposed to and they survive.

But this time is different. She had the babies on the wire. We got them gathered up and put into the nest box. She pulled no hair so we used dryer lent and cotton balls. They were born Sat and she just wont feed them. After the 1st night, it was obvious she hadn't even touched the nest box. Today, the babies still hadn't been fed so we put her in the box with them and put a board over it so she couldn't get out for a little while. I though maybe if the babies could just nurse once the instincts would kick in. She wouldn't be still and let them nurse, even though they tried and tried.

We have another doe that has 4 wk old kits. We held her still and tried to get them to nurse but she freaked and wouldn't let them.

I don't think they are going to make it. She's not feeding them. How long will they go before they die. I hate the thought of just waiting for them to die. I won't rebreed her until I have at least 1 more doe ready to breed in case I need to foster next time.
You can try putting her on her back or side and putting the kits on her to nurse.....usually if they don't get a few feedings at least from mom, they won't survive anyway...sorry she is being so obstinate. She will probably do better next time.

Shannon

Snowfie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm curious, what breed is your rabbit? My first doe recently had her first litter and she did a fantastic job. But she's a meat breed (which usually have larger litters and a greater emphasis on breeding for good mothering of larger litters) and came from a show breeder who competes nationally.

Some rabbits can take a couple times to get the hang of things, but the consistant point I've heard from breeders is you do not want to tolerate a bad mother for too long. Because daughters have a way of turning into their mothers.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Snowfie said:
I'm curious, what breed is your rabbit?
She is half champagne, half NZW. Her mom was a good mother. I hope she does do better next time. I am more willing to give her a few extra chances for the mere fact that I have a champagne buck but can't find a champagne doe. I got this NW momma when she was already bred to a different champagne, so I saved these does to breed to the buck I have bought.

I really want a line of champagnes. I think even if I can't get a good mom out of her or her sisters, I may breed them to let other does foster them to get some champagnes. Then maybe I can raise a doe out of them that would be a good doe. I am all for culling heavily to cull out the undesirable traits like bad mothering but I have to have some rabbits to begin culling.

Snowfie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Legacy said:
I am all for culling heavily to cull out the undesirable traits like bad mothering but I have to have some rabbits to begin culling.
It's hard to cull for bad mothering. By the time you realize she's not up to snuff you've invested almost a year into her

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I think your idea of the next time you breed to breed two does so that you can foster if you have a mom that doesn't do her job.

Yes it is tough to cull bad moms, but you don't know you have one until you try. It's all part of the Rabbit breeding world. Some things you just can't plan. :/

Lorelai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This happened to me last month. More my fault than hers; I was late with the nest box, and she was early with her litter. Normally she's a great mom, but even though I put them in the box, she pulled no fur and they were all dead by the next day. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that front, but chances are, she's not going to feed them. I had a sad occurrence myself this morning, only she had the babies last week in her box and then randomly stopped taking care of them. :(

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sister had one like this and she just brought her inside, held her down on her lap and the kids held the kits up to her teats until they latched on. They had to continue doing this until the kits were large enough to wean, as the doe never did catch on to mothering.