How long will babies live without being fed?

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, she didn't feed them. Some of them lived for 5 days before they died. We tried and tried to get them to latch on but we could never get them to.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. Next time get a kitten nurser and feed them

This is from a wildlife rehab site and is for feeding domestic and wild orphan kits.

Use KMR kitten or KMR kitten plus Goat milk, regular not low fat. Add a pinch of acidophilus (aka Probiotic) to the formula to promote healthy gut flora. Formulas vary depending on region. Avoid Esbilac. FEED TWICE A DAY ONLY.

Newborn to One Week: 2 - 2+1/2 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day).

1-2 weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day). (depending on bunny..may be much LESS if smaller rabbit!) Newborn babies (if eyes closed) all need to be stimulated to urinate and defecate prior to or following feeding until their eyes open. (Except Jackrabbits do not). *See how to below.

2-3 weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Domestic eyes open at about 10 days of age. Start introducing them to timothy and oat hay, pellets and water (always add fresh greens for wild ones).

3-6 weeks: 13-15 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings--again, may be LESS depending on size of rabbit! A cottontail will take so much less!! Half this at most.) Domestics are weaned about 6 weeks. Cottontails wean and release about 3-4 weeks and jackrabbits much later (9+ weeks). goats milk.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT Wash their bottoms with a wet wash cloth to stimulate pee'ing UNTIL THEIR EYES ARE OPEN. (If you don't do that they will die.)

I have done this very successfully with squirrels and rabbits.

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is terribly disheartening. Hopefully she does better next time, they usually do.

I have a first time champange doe due on the 28th... I am really hoping she does well as these babies should be awesome representations of their breed. I have her due the same day as one of her aunts who raised 5 perfectly her first time. Hopefully if there are any issues, I can catch them in time and foster. I would just have to make sure I mark the kits so I know whose is whose. Darn champagnes... they all look the same LOL

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sara, thank you for the info but I will not ever be hand raising baby rabbits. I have 10 kids that I homeschool plus 12 does, 5, bucks, and bunch of chickens. I don't have time to raise rabbits that the momma wont raise. I will try to make it where I can foster to another doe so the babies don't die.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
OK, I understand. I thought you wanted some of her babies to survive for breeding later. That was why I suggested the formula feeding.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do appreciate that. I just don't think I could do it successfully and I would stress myself out trying. I am going to wait until I have a couple more does that are ready to breed so that if her instincts don't kick in, I can foster them to the others. I have one ready to breed I have 4 more that are due any day. If any of those does, I will breed them all the same day.

eta: I just went back and re-read my previous post. It sounded snarky. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be snarky just to the point. I do appreciate your effort in getting me the info. I just know that I can't use that method. We took over the raising of some baby cottontails that some one else had taken in. It was hard and they were already 3 weeks old and still it was hard. Only one survived. I told myself then I wouldn't try that again.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I don't take snarky personally. I thought I offended you by sounding like a know-it-all. And I know so little.
:weee

Raising little animals can be pretty labor intensive. I'm one of those farmers who lives in reality about animals, but then you wouldn't know that. If they are destined for the table, I'm all for that. But I have VEGAN friends who would be horrified by that so I try to be careful about how I post a suggestion on animal care until I know someone's attitudes and farm practices. I've had my foot in my mouth so many times I'm a permanent cripple.