How many times have you ever fell off a horse?

funsoverflats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
twice... the second time took 2 months to heal up. Every heard the expression of "walking like a question mark?"

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:lol: I like this thread...In the 14 years I have been riding, I would rather not admit how many times I've fallen off...Mainly because it happened so many times, I've lost track! I've only had 3 falls though that left me injured.
This year has been pretty good - I've only had 3 "falls" so far. First was when my TB decided the pigs were going to eat him. Spun and dropped his shoulder. Second time we both fell - this time the evil Alpacas were going to eat him. He reared and spun, but sunk in the sand and fell over sideways. Third time was more of an emergency dismount before I fell - it was the first time my gelding had been ridden - stirrup hit him in the side and he spooked. We went opposite ways, and it was safer to just jump off.

Been a good year! :D

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
Never, but I have had a few unscheduled aerial dismounts. ;) :lol:
:lol:

Love this! I too have experienced several aerial dismounts. The first was the most memoriable. It was the first time I rode by green broke QH without a lead rope. He went under the apple tree with me on his back. He fit just fine, but I was in the tree. When he came out the branches I was holding back swatted him in the butt and he went flying. After two bucks, I performed my first aerial dismount. My friend said it was very graceful! :rolleyes:

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've come close a few times but never actually had a fall, though I have had to quickly slide off once or twice.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have never 'fallen off', that sounds hard to do. I have been bucked off young horses at least 6 times. Had one very clumsy Percheron (same said threw me 3 of the 6 times) fall over on himself, and I have jumped right over a couple while attempting bare back mounting techniques (alcohol may have been a factor)! :gig

I guess; Not enough times to quit thinking about new ways? That's my final answer.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
I had her in a good trot (as fast as she would go) and was going to get her to jump a ditch. She didn't, but I did.
:yuckyuck He he ... Oh.. ME???? I rode a few times in my life but, never fell off. I want to ride again though. As soon as I have enough money
I'm going to buy a few acres and get some horses .... :weee

Fluffy

Just born
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you how many times I've fallen. But here's the most memorable times :)

Trying to mount bareback I jumped too high and went all the way over his back and landed underneath him... he looked at me like I was crazy :)

When ponying a crazy colt, the lead rope ended up under the tail of my mount - necessitating an emergency dismount. It didn't occur to me to let go of the rope until I was on the ground.

Best of all: I once sleep walked out to the pasture and rode my horse bareback while I slept. Seriously. It must not have gone too well... I woke up on my way back in the house with a really sore back and dirt all on my side. My horse was in the wrong pasture and his bridle was hanging on the gate - heck of a way to wake up.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Only ever fell off 2 times. Once my Tenn Walker/Mustang stepped in a hole and pitched me forward when she went to her knees. The other time, I fell for the old "horse took a deep breath while cinching trick". I just kinda slowly slid over to the side. BUT........there is something worse than falling off. That is NOT falling off when you should.

I had a horse that was owned before I got her and had been taught to rear up by a very irresponsible teen owner who thought it was funny. We "untaught" her and for 3 years had no problems. However one day on a ride, my sister in law did something to her horse that spooked it and it took off with her. I tried to take off after her and inadvertently gave the knee/reign command that had been her signal to rear. She did, I wasn't ready, and instead of falling off or jumping off, I was off balance and both the horse and I went over backwards. I hit the ground first and she hit me. I was soooo lucky. I had my hair in a pony tail and the back of my head hit the ground where the pony tail was so it cushioned my head. Nothing was broken, but I carried the exact imprint of the saddle and horn across my stomach and hips for almost a month. One good thing, she didn't like it any better than I did, and she never reared up with anybody again.

Latest posts