How Many

Hop N'Tail

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How many meat rabbits do you have so you can breed them? I would like to atleast have 10 meat rabbits and that is it. Is this good enough? Also does anybody know how much per lb I can get for a rabbit in NJ?

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hop N'Tail said:
How many meat rabbits do you have so you can breed them? I would like to atleast have 10 meat rabbits and that is it. Is this good enough? Also does anybody know how much per lb I can get for a rabbit in NJ?
2 does and a buck CAN produce 264 kits in a year. Of course nobody actually breeds them that hard.

Most people need to sell at $2/lb live weight to break even, although it can fetch a much higher price when commercially processed.

You can find you local rates by trolling Craigslist and going to swap meets.

Hooligan Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hop N'Tail said:
I have 2 bucks and 4 does I may add a couple more. Selling in our great state will come down to finding a market. I had one guy email that wanted 10 a month.

wYs Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've got 6 doe, 4 bucks. I'll probably sell or process 3 of the bucks and get another (that I know is pure bred). I'll probably keep a couple young doe for more breeding once I get a new buck. In MI rabbit is going for $3.99 per processed pound.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At the grocery store here they are selling for $6.49 a pound. I don't know about private sells. I haven't got that far yet.