How much space

Onyx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Heh heh I know what you mean @animalmom. I too have rabbits and while they are in temporary quarters at the moment, when I build the permanent cages this spring they will be 24 x 36 for my hollands and other dwarf breeds and 24 x 48 for my NZs that will be coming. Which is larger than most people would use. I just don't want to end up with not enough room and stressed out goats who start acting neurotic because I am crowding them D: I have a bunch of books on dairy goats and Nigerian Dwarfs and I would usually just look up the info but when I get such vastly contrasting info as 30 sq feet and 130 sq feet I figure I had better ask people with actual goat experience, ha ha!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How much space (maximum) do you have available for them? Whatever that amount, that's what you should use. If that is 1/2 an acre then there ya go. If you don't have that amount available, then it will have to be less.

The determining factor isn't "how big" should the space be... It should be what's the smallest I can actually go with the space available to be used, and still have happy healthy animals. Since you've stated it will be dry lot and strict confinement, I would try to give them as much space as I could reasonably. If you're figuring 130 sqft, then times 2 = 260 sqft. So if I could do an enclosure 10' x 26', that should be sufficient as a minimum. Were it me? I'd prob go 16' x 32' as I could then use 8' spacing for fence posts or fence panels.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and pls post some pics when done! Thanks.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This is from Midwestern Plan Service, Sheep Housing and Equipment Handbook, 1982...yes, this is for sheep, but can be applied to goats as well.
housing-png.39