How much to feed them?

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They have a free choice mineral block and right now they are getting a one of those big coffe cups full. They range from 10 months to 2 years.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
11langenkamp_w said:
They have a free choice mineral block and right now they are getting a one of those big coffe cups full. They range from 10 months to 2 years.
Are they eating the block, ok? Some don't - which is why mine get 3 options ;) Generally if you have a problem getting them to eat their minerals, loose works...just an fyi.

How many goats are you feeding? And they all share one coffee cup full?

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes they eat it like crazy. . 5 goats get one coffe cup plus 2 bundules of hay and some bread.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would be careful with the bread. Too much can cause them to bloat and that is definitely no good. :(
I have Nigerian Dwarves which are about the same size as pygmies (4 does not bred, not lactating and 2 bucks) that get as much hay free choice as they want, various leaves and grass from the yard, and minerals free choice. We only give them grain or feed pellets or alfalfa pellets as a treat in a communal trough. :)

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They dont get much bread its mainly for the chickens. . .And i loaded the hay trough with 10 slabs of hay and this moring its about all gone.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I agree about the bread, wouldn't do it. You can give them fruit and veggie scraps.

If this is the first that they've been offered the hay free choice at your place they will probably make pigs of themselves for a few days, but they'll throttle back on it when they know it's always available. :D

Some people don't grain boys and non-lactating / non-pregnant does at all...some just offer hay all the time free choice. You'll have to figure out what works best for you, but I think you're off to a good start :cool: