How old should a rabbit be in order to be bred

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I raise meat rabbits (NZW, Californians, American Blues) and have started breeding at 4 months for does and 5 months for bucks. Sometimes the buck may take up to 8 months before he's ready to breed, but 4-5 months for does and 5-6 months for bucks has almost always worked out for me.

The smaller and giant breeds differ and I don't have any experience with them.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wait until 6 months for both , but thats just me ,I raise Mini Rex . :)

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a 5-month MINIMUM on our Dwarf Hotots and Lionheads, a six month minimum on our New Zealands. We have only bred once and she is due today. Both rabbits were about 24 weeks just because we were waiting for cooler weather. Once everyone is moved into the Barn we will breed a pair of Dwarf Hotots as well, hopefully within two weeks!

I wouldn't breed younger than five just to be sure for smaller breeds. Meat and Giants I'd wait for six but someone who knows more about giants may have something better.

CYG

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just something to keep in mind, as soon as you breed a young doe for the first time she stops growing. Of course she can gain more weight and all, but she stops her overall growth right there.

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Petit Jean Bunnies said:
Just something to keep in mind, as soon as you breed a young doe for the first time she stops growing. Of course she can gain more weight and all, but she stops her overall growth right there.
That is true! So before breeding, ask yourself if having a full sized doe is important for sales purposes or if it is simply your own meat production? If people are wanting to purchase breeding stock they usually want to see the parents. If they have grown out full for 8 months or so before breeding, they'll be able to see what the offspring will end up looking like. That does make a big difference. But if you're just breeding for meat production, it doesn't matter as much.

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the dwarfs at six months and larger rabbits at 8 months