How tall/how much weight does an African Pgymy goat get?

Nikki

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi! I saw an African Pygmy goat, and I was wondering about these things since I might get one (Female please, I would be getting a female)
And are the females nice? Do they poop big? Does their poop smell?
Thanks! -Nikki
:ya

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They stay very small, around 50 pounds or so.

Personality varies from one goat to another and with how it was raised. If it has been treated well and handled a lot from the time it was born, it should be friendly. You will have to discourage bad habits like jumping up on people, head butting, or biting if the goat tries to get away with them.

Their manure is small pellets, rather like what a rabbit makes. It's not that big, and pretty easy to clean up. It doesn't really smell (unless you were never cleaning the pen out at all). Male goats that are not neutered do stink pretty badly, especially during breeding season when they pee on their faces, the smell attracts female goats.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Here is a good resource for doing your homework:
http://www.npga-pygmy.com/default.asp

From reading your other posts, I would really suggest you do plenty of homework before actually bringing a goat home :)
What she said...I think you should also buy a few goat books, read good websites, socialize with your local goat farmers, and get as much info as you can, THEN bring it back here to ask us what we think, and answer questions.

But to add:
Just because an animal is friendly/well behaved when you get it, doesn't always mean it will keep it's good habits...Not trying to generalize, just sharing experience that I've had: many new goat owners allow their new goats to get away with TONS of crap (not knowing any better), then get upset when it is head butting, jumping, biting ect to the point of hurting them.
Off track a little - it drives me up a wall and back when people visit and willingly let my goats suck on their fingers, jump on them, head butt, ect and think it is cute...Especially bottle babies ( :he ) Every time they let them suck on their fingers, I show them the wounds I have on my hands from my bottle babies trying to grab the nipple, and getting my hand instead. :somad (to which they reply, "oh, well they didn't do that to me!"...Ya, you just wait! grrr)

Also - just because they stay small, doesn't mean they won't/can't do damage. My pygmy doe actually hurt me, destroyed ALL fencing (until I put up metal roofing over the fence line), and was an over all wench compared to my full size dairy does. Her kids were the same way, and we hand raised them.

Nikki

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware they don't stay little, I have many other pets too ^.^
But my mom and I are going to visit the goat before we make our decision, to see if the goat is nice to me, etc. Also we were told by the owners if they do any of that stuff, immediantly spray them with the bottle. I was telling my mom in the car about that. I will do my reasearch about goats!

Latest posts