How will i know when my does are pregnant ??

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am getting a buck soon to breed to my doe's, when will I know they are pregnant?? They are nigerian and pygmy.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
After breeding, if they don't return to heat somewhere from 18 to 21 days, then they most likely settled.

msjuris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When they give birth. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't help it. I've been asking the same question since October.

Both my nigerian dwarf does were bred in October and are due to kid in March, I hope. I can't tell by their size, behavior, or even palpating the belly just in front of the udder. Ariel301 (I think that's right) can tell by what has been coined as the "pooch test". Do a search for the thread, it might help. Other than going through the expense of an ultrasound or a pregnancy test through Biotracking, there is no sure fire way to tell.

You may just want to take the wait and see approach.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
If you want to know for sure, you can draw blood (so easy a caveman could do it :p ) and send samples to biotracking.com 30 days after you think they've settled. There is a tutorial link on their site that shows a child drawing blood. This was enough for me....I sent in samples last winter and it was so worth it. I know what to expect and when. I had a couple of surprises, too, one I thought was preggers was not, one I thought had CAE did not.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If ours don't show heat cycles for the next couple of months we have a good idea they're bred. I'd love to be wealthy enough for my own ultrasound machine so I could be sure though (and count babies of course)!

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
julieq said:
If ours don't show heat cycles for the next couple of months we have a good idea they're bred. I'd love to be wealthy enough for my own ultrasound machine so I could be sure though (and count babies of course)!
buut i have never seen my girls come into heat...the don't show signs...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Has the buck been around the girls? Or you can wipe a rag over the buck to get his smell and let the girls smell it. That might help show if they are in heat or not.

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you want to know for sure, you can draw blood (so easy a caveman could do it :p ) and send samples to biotracking.com 30 days after you think they've settled. There is a tutorial link on their site that shows a child drawing blood. This was enough for me....I sent in samples last winter and it was so worth it. I know what to expect and when. I had a couple of surprises, too, one I thought was preggers was not, one I thought had CAE did not.
I just checked them out. It is good to know they are available and the prices don't seem too outrageous either.
Thanks for posting this Free.

mlw987m

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK, now I am stuck on this one - my doe may or may not be pregnant - we had the buck castrated after she was in heat..........kind makes me scratch my head and wonder 'Is she or isn't she?"

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
mlw987m said:
OK, now I am stuck on this one - my doe may or may not be pregnant - we had the buck castrated after she was in heat..........kind makes me scratch my head and wonder 'Is she or isn't she?"
You will find out soon enough!! And as free said you can send blood samples out..I believe its reasonable priced. :hu

Good luck...I hope it works out for you!

Latest posts