I am getting the impression the goats are very stressful to care for

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Heather......:hugs

I get EXACTLY where you are coming from.

Let me tell you about my intro to goats, lol.

I've always had cattle and horses, no problem. Then I decided I wanted goats. I did some research and a former friend told me that she had three orphans I could have, so I went to look.

I found three very skinny babies, and they were all three attempting to nurse their bloated dead mother. She'd been dead for over 24 hours and had just been left in there with them. She was COVERED in lice, and was WAY too thin.

I am a sucker and couldnt leave them there to starve to death while nursing a dead udder, so I brought them home, naming them Spider, Shadow and Piglet. Within a week or two, a dog got in a killed Shadow. Piglet was so traumatized that he got SEVERE bloat and died that night, leaving me with only Spider.

Two dead goats.

Spider never really thrived. He was lethargic and just not a good eater. Meanwhile, while I was working with him, my "friends" ENTIRE herd was dropping dead, one by one, necropsy revealed a SERIOUS copper deficiency and ALL of the goats were emaciated.

SInce Spider was now an only goat, I went and got Hoover, a beautiful nubian wether, so Spider could have a friend.

Eventually, Spiders health got so bad that I had to put him down. He died peacefully in my arms, again leaving me with one lonely goat.

Three dead goats.

I became INCREDIBLY attached to Hoover.

So I got Socrates and Plato to keep Hoover comfortable. Then Hoover got a respiratory infection. The vet came out and we treated with Pen-G. On my birthday of last year, Hoover was to get his LAST injection of that Pen-G. I ALMOST didnt give it to him, as he seemed fine, but I am a stickler for finishing the entire course of antibiotics, so I ventured out to the barn to give my baby boy his last pen-g shot. He reacted to it, and died a horrid horrid death.

Four dead goats.

I felt like a failure. I was very traumatized by the death that Hoover had, and my heart was shattered at losing my beautiful boy. That lil goat! He was so sweet, would wag his little tail when he saw me, and call to me, follow me everywhere........he was my boy and I LOVED that goat. I was shattered and frustrated and terrified that I was going to kill Socrates and Plato.

I'm normally pretty tough emotionally, but I really wigged out when Hoover died. I put Socrates and Plato up for sale, but my bull headed husband refused to sell them, so I refused to have anything to do with them for over a month. I wouldnt even go to the barn. Then one day, I HAD to go down there. I threw up when I walked past the place where Hoover died.

It's been over a year, but there is a little place in the wall that is marked from where his hooves hit it when he was having his death seizures.....it still wracks my gut to see that little spot.

Anyway, after I threw up, I sat down in the barn floor and bawled for my Hoover boy.........and Socrates and Plato came over to check on me. Socrates figured out that my tears were salty and that he LIKED salty things, so he kept licking my face............and I fell in love with another goat. I quickly realized that a goat can make me smile even at my worst.

He's not my Hoover, but he is my Socrates, lol.

In the end, I ended up getting MORE goats. I added two does to the "herd" and have every intention of breeding them next year.

Like you, I had a rotten rotten start, but I learned from it. A sick goat can make you cry, but a well goat will make you laugh. Goats can break your heart into a million pieces, but a goat can mend a broken heart in an instant.

I understand being gun-shy. Even after a year, I am terrified to give Pen-G.........even though I have finally come to terms that Hoover's death was not my fault, but just one of those unfortunate events that reaches out and slaps us all in the face from time to time.

I also understand that its those of us who care this much that make great goat owners. I buried my first four goats.......within months of each other, but things turned around and I have four healthy goats. I take good care of my goats and they show their appreciation with beautiful slobbery goat kisses. I did all I could for the first four..........like you, I am a GOOD goat owner. Now, I am reaping the rewards and I love my goats.

Hon...........its time for you to do the same. Cowgirl up, hike up your big girl panties and get another goat. Sure, a goat is what broke your heart, but its a goat that will mend it.
Very well written. I remember your Hoover episode. I am also inspired by your words. I have my first ever goat kids due in about 30 days. I am so afraid that I am going to do something wrong. Thanks for posting.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Very well said RTG. Goats are relatively easy to care for though they do come with a bit of a learning curve.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got my first goats, 2 pregnant does, in December. I haven't found them to be all that hard. There's a lot to learn, but they were healthy when i got them, and they got fatter since they have a lot less competition for food at my place. They both had beautiful babies, a doeling and a buckling. The buckling and his mom got into the chicken feed when he was 4 weeks old and bloated badly. She pulled through, he didn't. :( I got 2 more goats last week and have already started looking into what I want for my next one. I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced Saanen doeling. :) I will never bottle feed a baby except as a last resort, though. They are just so much healthier on their mom's milk. If it comes to it, I will at least feed them milk straight from a doe, whether it's their mom or not, if I have to bottlefeed. JMO on that.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
elevan said:
Very well said RTG. Goats are relatively easy to care for though they do come with a bit of a learning curve.
X2. And whoever said they are just goats has never had one. They each have their own personality and are so loving. I would not trade mine for anything in the world.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad you posted this RTG...your words are so true...not just of goats (we have hair sheep) but of all animals. I can't imagine my life without raising critters...truly, I can't!!!

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I started looking for a buddy for Holly today. I don't think I will ever be able to face another boer baby or at least for a while. I hate sounding stupid but its hard to even think about finding a replacement buddy. There is this little kid that stole my heart a bit with her wagging little tail and her nibbling on my chin. The only other animal that tore me up like this was my dog. She was another one I saved when no one else felt she was worth the bother. She lived a long time and it took months to get over her dying. Goats are very endearing and lovable I will admit.

My Mrs Holly is doing great though. She is drinking her bottle like a good girl now and still eating her hay. I learned that unless there is molasses on her bottle nipple and mixed in with her pellets she won't touch them. Spoiled girl. Tonight I had been gone for several hours and she greeted me at the gate. She greadily sucked down 10 ounces and wanted more. Granted when I went and got more she refused. She let me put the ointment in her eye and then she laid down at my feet while I sang to her. Afterwards I told her it was time for bed and she very happily let me lock her in for the night. She is a sweet sweet girl. I am going to up her bottle tomorrow and getting her a buddy.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so glad you decided to get a buddy for your doe. I don't know where you live, but I wish you were near me-----I have two beautiful little boys for sale right now. One was born May 4 and is black and white (I call him Oreo) and has been banded. The other was born May 25, is black and white with blue eyes He is dehorned and can still be banded (I call him Tonto).

Here is a picture of them together (Oreo on the left and Tonto on the right):
2659_goatsflowers_643.jpg

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awe they are cute. Wow you are way up there in Indiana. We are about 6 hours south of you, out in the sticks.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, we are kind of out in the sticks too. That is a long way, but I mioght be able to convince DH to let me meet you half-way (if you're up to it). Oreo is pretty much ready to go now---he's eating on his own (still nursing when he can). He just needs one more CD-T shot. Tonto won't be ready until sometime in July---probably around the 28.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that you just got a rough start. It is hard to start with any animal when the odds are against them already. You can do this.

That being said...if you had asked me 6 months ago if goats were difficult I would have siad "no", "not really". They do take some attention when it comes to feed and supplements, but so does any animal if you raise them correctly. Now in the last few months I have lost 2, have one with some undiagnosed illness, have successfully treated one for entero, and have another one that poops dog logs and scours on a regular basis in spite of worming and now clean fecals. I have changed my mind a little.

I say that they are the only animal that can be alive this morning and dead tonight. My friends tell me that you can expect a 10% loss in livestock each year, so the more you own, the more you lose. I have gone from 3 goats to 15 goats (not counting the 16 kids) in 4 years, so I guess my number was just up.

Would I give them all up? Nope, they are here to stay.