I bought my goat a ball :)

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bought a pretty red ball at the store last week and wondered if the goat and lamb would push it around at all... well no, not at first.

But yesterday I was scratching the goats head, and then with the palm of my hand on his head I gave him a push backwards and kept the palm of my hand out after I did it.. Well he looks at my hand and you could see him thinking "OK, I'll play" lol He then steps towards me, drops his head, and pushes on my hand. We did this a few times, and he kept coming back for more.
Realizing this could be dangerous as he matures I decide to use the ball instead of my hand and I used that to push against him. He continued playing and pushing harder, backing up and rearing up on his hind legs then charging the ball with his head down .. reminded me of a mountain goat. I was loving it! he was really quite frisky and playful, and seeing him rear up like that over and over was amazing :)!. After a while I held the ball on the ground and he continued to push on it. When I stopped holding it he began pushing it around the field a little and pawing at it, He was even making noises as he pawed at the ball ... so much fun to watch. When he eventually pushed it into the brush, he laid down beside it and rubbed his face on it. so cute. It was like he was thinking ... Ohhh I love my new ball. lol

He is a 6 month old fainting goat and his horns will eventually pop this little ball, so I think I'll get him a basket or socker ball that is a lot more durable.

I'll try to get photos or video of him playing with the ball today.

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
More photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/s1gnature/sets/72157624645147960/

4857198818_5a8ffa9eb7.jpg

4856578673_5bc19a1e12.jpg

4857198512_f43a79c8cc.jpg

4857198336_ec442a151e.jpg

4856578335_39d817309d.jpg

4857198080_a8d178d98a.jpg

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How funny! Thanks for sharing. You make me want to get my goats a ball LOL. I love his markings btw. :)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Cool! I have a basketball in with my buckling, and he ignores it. I'm gonna to "teach" him to play with it today! Thanks!

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Yes I love his markings too.

After we are done playing I take the ball away. That way he doesn't get board with it and it will be a new toy when I bring it out again. This morning after I took those photos he did try pushing against me.... I just moved out of the way. I cant have him doing that.

GeeseRCool

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That is funny! Is it a baby or an adult?

HolsteinLuver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey Peachick,

Is he a silky fainter or normal haired fainter? He is georgeous!!!!!!!! Do you have any does to breed him to when the time comes?

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont think he is a silkie... I just call him long haired.:)

I have a few does on "order" for this fall. The breeder did not have any girls with long hair when I bought this one. So the breeder is making me some LOL due to be born in a month or so. I came home with a little lamb girl to keep my guy company until I get the doelings.

BTW the pretty red ball popped last night when I played with him again. He's starting to hit it pretty hard when he rams it.... so we now will use an old basketball.

Wondering did anyone try this yesterday? with any success?

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's funny, before I saw this post, I was watching Dash and thinking, "You know, I bet she'd like a ball." She likes to play with banana peels and she likes to paw at things. So I got her a cheapo ball yesterday and I will see if she wants to play with it today.