I have a doe with Mastitis - I need help with dosing ToMorrow..Please!

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a doe that is fighting mastitis - no temperature, no appetite loss, other than uneven udders and yucky stuff that can be milked out she doesn't have symptoms. She is dried off and otherwise healthy. She has been bred but I need to get this under control and gone. I have the ToMorrow treatment (inter-mammary infusions) but I'm not sure how I should dose them? Do I do once a day? Twice a day? do I "milk her out" before dosing? How do I know it's gone?? Just need some help please ;)!! Thank you!

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe someone will be here soon that can help you. I think I just read the directions the one time I did it. If I remember right, I milked her out - did the infusion - I think you wait a certain amout of time 24 hrs maybe and these milk her out again.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The usual dose is to milk her out and give 1 full vial the first day and again the second day. Make sure you massage it "up into" the udder.

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I did it once, made sure it was super clean (alcohol swabs etc..) and went out tonight to do it again, but was unsure if I should milk her out again? Well, I figured I'd try and then re-infuse (it's been 24 hrs) - But, I was unable to milk her out..I can feel it in there, but it won't come out. Am I doing something wrong?? I'm thinking I'm just going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow ;( - I'm not sure what else to do??

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm worried because nothing will milk out.. I don't want her udder to be blown :( -- Anyone else have a problem like this before?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is the udder hot and swollen looking like it needs to be milked? Or just normal looking and feeling? When mine had mastitis she pretty much quit giving milk on her one side overnight.

Make sure you wash real good and especially the orifice on the teat, sometimes they can get "plugged" with mastitis and it will take a little bit of force to "blow" the milk chunk out.

If she is hot and swollen that is what I would do definitely milk out and retreat.

If she is not hot and swollen (and it doesn't look very full) you could try infusing again, but since you can't get any to come out it's either plugged or there is none in there, in which it would be ok to just infuse again and leave.

Also make sure you are giving her sub-q penicillin, a full round which according to my vet (my goat was 150#) was 3cc's twice a day for 4 days.

(My treatment for my goat's mastits on basis of my vet's recommendations).

Hope this helps!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When my doe had mastitis last fall I infused her for 3 days and milked her out before hand. But I also massaged peppermint balm into her udder and milked her out everyday for the next two weeks. Her udder may be blown on that side, I don't know.

I was milking out "cottage cheese". Her teat would get clogged and nothing would come out at all until I massaged and massaged some more, I could feel the lumps in her,but couldn't get anything out. I would squeeze just the tip of her teat until it would "pop" some junk out and then it would just clog again. A very long process. At one point I had to use the teat infusion canula to unclog her. That nasty stuff has to come out, it stunk so bad, I thought I would be ill.

I did have her on Pen for three days as well. I was told that I needed to continue to try and milk her and that her body would not just reabsorb the nasty clumps as I hoped.

I did a clean catch at one point and have the sample in my freezer. I am going to send it in to UC Davis for a culture just so I know what kind of mastitis it was.

Good luck with your doe.