I need some goat advice

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right section!

I am picking up a female Nigerian dwarf goat on sunday. She has had one birth 7 months ago. They said that she was exsposed to a male shortly after birth. Time frame ???

(I have a notion that she is prego that's why they listed her and the son. They bought 2 females and didn't know they were prego, hence 2 goats tooo many)
Would i be able to tell if she is prego? Wouldn't she be due ASAP?

Also her 7 month old son is fixed but they didn't de horn him. Is it to late? I kinda am weiry about getting him since i only have one pen and his horns concern me.(kids, animals and mamma goat)

Thanks so much for any advice!

Heather

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goats are pg for 5 months, when and how long was she w/ the buck?

I have horned and non horned goats, mostly non horned, but I still have one nubian and two boers w/ horns. It's never to late to dehorn, it's just a much bigger deal now! When I need to dehorn an older one, I band them.

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
since am new to the goat world...:hide how do you band them?

I am not sure how long she was exposed and exectlly when..just told shortly after birth and ad reads (might be pregnant)

URGH.....:he

see i don't want to get her and she have kids plus get the 7 month old....tooooo many goats for the size pen we have!!!

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If she was exposed and not in heat, she probably didn't get pregnant. Find out if she was kept with a buck or not. We exposed a nigerian doe a month after birthing so that we could get her on the same schedule as everyone else. Ours were exposed the latter part of January to the early part of Feb. They are all about ready to pop now. 5 months is 5 months give or take a few days.

Chris

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If there's any way to get a better time frame on when she was with the buck it would certainly help you determine possible due dates. And, after the last possible due date you'd know for sure that she isn't preggers. ;) If she was exposed seven months ago for a few days or even a week or a month, then she's not pregnant... you need them to give you better answers to that.

As to the horns issue - that's a very personal issue that you need to educate yourself on and then make your decision. If you chose to dehorn at this point I'd suggest banding and hoping that works (it doesn't always but many people have had great luck with it). I highly encourage you NOT to go the surgical route (via a vet) as they have to literally open the skull to get the horns out and there is a good possibility of infection afterwards. I do have friends with personal experience doing the surgical route and all of them have said they wish they hadn't have put their goats through it and would never do it again.

I'm on the side of not having horned goats at my house. I also know several people personally who've had serious facial injuries (including almost loosing an eye) just because their horned goat tossed it's head or turned it's head at the wrong moment and it caught them in the face. The goats were all very sweet - nothing mean - it was just the movement of the head at the wrong time. Also - horned goats can easily get caught in certain fence types and can hurt their herdmates when butting -- even in play. Thus, I disbud all my kids. Other's won't have a goat without horns.... your choice.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not to high jack your thread, but chirpy could you go into more detail about how to band a goats horns? I would rather not have horned goats, for safety reasons (people and goats). But my 2 goats both have horns, they are still fairly young but not young enough to disbud them. At what opoint do you band(certain age? Or certain size of horn?) Any info you could pass on would be great.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
taraann81 said:
Not to high jack your thread, but chirpy could you go into more detail about how to band a goats horns? I would rather not have horned goats, for safety reasons (people and goats). But my 2 goats both have horns, they are still fairly young but not young enough to disbud them. At what opoint do you band(certain age? Or certain size of horn?) Any info you could pass on would be great.
His would make a great "My Page" entry into our contest, if someone wants to tackle it. ;)

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have personal experience banding horns as I disbud so someone who's done it needs to chime in here.

You use the same bands that you use to castrate a buckling. Put them down around the horn right at the base where the horn attaches to the head. Make sure there's no hair caught in the band. It takes weeks for the horn to fall off. Unfortunately that's my limited knowledge on this.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Banding is not a perfect answer, but it is the best solution when weighed agains surgical removal. We are elastrator banding all of our horned goats (tired of repairing fences)...it's going fabulously but has not been without some significant work. You will need pain meds, antibiotics on hand. I HIGHLY suggest finding someone local with experience to walk you through it, as we had. You will find some websites about it which make it sound like a walk in the park...which it is not.

All that said, we have had horned goats for years. We have small children, a mixed herd. The only issue we've had with the horns is property damage (fences, etc). Don't be afraid of them...

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think horns are a personal issue. Some goat owners won't have a goat with horns, some won't have a goat without them for various reasons. Personally, I tend to let nature be in most cases. To my way of thinking... nature put them there for a reason. Why mess with nature?

Many will disagree with me however.

Latest posts