I think I messed up.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I found a website for someone near me breeding and selling Champagnes, which I have really really wanted and am having a hard time finding.

So I sent an email asking if they have anything available and I like to give a little more info than cold short emails. so I commented that I was looking for something to add to my personal meat herd.

Now, I am thinking that was a mistake. I forget that other people don't see things the way I do. I forget some people don't want their bunnies to be food. I forget that some rabbit breeders would rather not know.

I haven't gotten email back. I hope I haven't ruined my chances of buying some champagnes locally.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't think you messed up if it's strictly a pet breeder. Personally, I'd never pose as a pet only home in order to get a breed I wanted for meat production or to use as a breeder for pet rabbits, either way. Folks usually want the pedigrees for a reason. You did right since, eventually, those breeders that don't feel comfy with dual purpose homes will be upfront and ask that question, and hopefully get an honest answer.

It took me a long time to fnd a reasonably close initial source of high quality show/meat stock for my breed and I was always upfront regarding my intent, in a graceful manner, of course, lol. I found out that the most of the breeders of good commercial breeds have no issue with selling to dual purpose barns. For the most part, those with good quallity stock realize the purposes for them and have no issue. Sometimes it just takes people a couple of days to get to their emails. Our minds can do all kinds of things in the meantime, lol.

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Why not shoot them another email, saying if they are uncomfortable with their bunnies going to a meat breeding home, you understand. If you plan to make pets out of your breeders, maybe let them know your plans for the bunny. That way you won't have to wonder! Also, sometimes people take a long time to reply to emails from their websites... Good luck!

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You did the right thing by being upfront and truthful.

And I agree with Hola. Send another email. The worse thing that can happen is that you do not hear back or are told no.

Julie_A

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where do you live? Someone near here keeps advertising champagnes and also replies with really short emails. LOL.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm in north Texas. I didn't realize rabbits were so scarce around here till I started looking for them. They are hard to find. It's weird because this is such an agricultural area.

rabbitlady4433

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I understand how sometimes we forget not everybody like the idea of eating their pets. I recently sold a bunny from a litter of mine through craigslist. The people came and as we were talking she asked why we had so many baby rabbits. I told her we eat them not even realizing what came out of my mouth and the look on their faces was priceless. My husband was laughing so hard the kids started laughing and they raced out of my back yard as fast as they could. My daughter who's 8, said "Mom, I think they were city folk." :lol:

I'll definately watch what I say next time. :rolleyes:

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's easy for those of us who eat rabbit to forget that some people get really uptight over it. They seem to think meat somehow just appears in the supermarket without killing anything.

dot n'dave

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I have been keeping in mind with my two new young volunteers. I'm waiting for them to ask me next week where some of the bunnies went. I keep rehearsing the simple line "we sold them" so they don't quit!
Also it helps me with my peace of mind, when my dad moves them around once in a while and I forget who's who, and who's missing.