I want to make cheese....

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
In the past I've made half batches of cheese (chevre, feta and mozzarella) and yogurt without any trouble. I had to save up a couple days of milk (mostly because some people in this house kept drinking it all...) But it is well worth the trouble. ;)

Chickenfever

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a lot of frozen milk. Does anyone know if I can use it to make cheese?

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, you can use frozen milk to make cheese; at least from what I've read on here you can. I hope it works, I have a batch of cheese from frozen milk in the press right now!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
nurturingnaturally said:
Yes, you can use frozen milk to make cheese; at least from what I've read on here you can. I hope it works, I have a batch of cheese from frozen milk in the press right now!
You want to thaw and then strain your frozen milk before using it.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
It gets a grainy texture. Although I haven't made cheese from frozen milk, when I thaw it for our use during the does' dry times I put it in the blender for a few seconds and that takes care of it nicely.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It gets a grainy texture. Although I haven't made cheese from frozen milk, when I thaw it for our use during the does' dry times I put it in the blender for a few seconds and that takes care of it nicely.
Yep that would work just as well as straining would I imagine :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
nurturingnaturally said:
Yes, I definitely thawed it...why would it need to be strained though, if I strained it before freezing?
:gig Sorry to give the "thaw" it instructions! You'd be surprised how many times a little detail like that when left out can confuse people! :D

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have not started milking anyone. But am still thinking about it.
Milking them really seems like a lot of time (since mine are not dairy goats) But I have these herbs growing in the kitchen window that would be yummy in some cheese.....

Latest posts