I was strictly a meat rabbit kind of person..............

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Shannoniganshens said:
I have a question!!!! Ari is acting stressed to me, she is laying on her side with her rear in the air, checked her out, afterbirth? passed? Is that a normal amount of time for that to happen? I'm waiting to find out if she may have been in the buck pen in a day 1 then day 2 situation.... Is this normal? Maybe I'm wigging out, I took her out, examined, there is some blood on her area,tail and hind legs, chips have a little where she was laying. I put her in a basket with a blanket and she sniffed, looked around, nosy posy rabbit bizz, so I put her back in her cage, where she sat in the nest box for a few min. and is now in her normal corner with her rear in the air. Am I waiting for another litter, was that after birth? And is this NORMAL???? :fl
I wish I could help. I have no experience in litters or what a Doe goes through after. I hope someone who's got experience will reply. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with poor Ari. Hope all is well.

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
O.k., this is what I was told, via the breeder, that I need to breed her again, my thoughts, o.k. maybe, but I'd rather wait 4 or 5 days if that is really what needs to be done. Right or Wrong? I think it, and I might sound 98 shades of outta there, but that is was a little scary, traumatic, stressful. She is eating and drinking, and just lazying around, yes I know they do this during the day, I'm going to watch her tonight and see if she does the rabbit activities all my rabbits seem to do every night and take it from there. I think, I let her be she will be just fine. ..... I really think I need to learn more about this breed, before I have her giving me some live ones. :)

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well.............:( Ari died today. I went in to show my son her and she had already passed. When I picked her up, there was blood and yellow mucous-ey stuff on her rear. I have no idea what happened. The days after her baby were born, she acted kind of off, but was eating and drinking, the only thing I had observed since then is she didn't run to the other side of the cage or kick me when I picked her up. Kind of upset over this.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Theykeepmebusy said:
Well.............:( Ari died today. I went in to show my son her and she had already passed. When I picked her up, there was blood and yellow mucous-ey stuff on her rear. I have no idea what happened. The days after her baby were born, she acted kind of off, but was eating and drinking, the only thing I had observed since then is she didn't run to the other side of the cage or kick me when I picked her up. Kind of upset over this.
I'm so sorry to hear about Ari's passing. I guess it IS upsetting, not just losing a sweet rabbit like Ari, but to find out with your son like that. I hope your son is alright as well.

Life lesson for sure. What a way to find out about this, but it happens.

Unless you get an autopsy, with rabbits you really never know. That's what I hear. I don't know if you really want to go that route. It's also a big lesson for you as a breeder as well. This part of breeding really sucks! But unfortunately, it IS part of it. It happens.

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ari's passing was upsetting, almost decided to quit with the Holland's and stick with my big meat rabbits, but Junior is still here and little reminders of how sweet the breed is, along with the cuteness. I haven't gotten Junior or Ari's pedigrees yet, I'm beginning to think this "breeder" never planned on sending them. She has given way to many excuses, plus her "excuse" for Ari's passing was hormones..........I doubt it. I started searching for a new breeder, so Junior could have a girlfriend and ended up bringing back not one doe, but 3 and 2 more bucks, even jumped in my car with their pedigrees. The breeder is a very nice woman, friendly but serious. I really like her and I love the rabbits I bought from her. DING DING round 2, Wish me luck and here's my new "babies"

Wren's Sierra, she is a Chestnut Agouti - VM , she has the prettiest blue eyes. BEW runs in her line

2758_image_391.jpg

Wren's Rum, Opal, BEW runs in his line also, he is the sweetest rabbit, licks me and just lays in my lap.
2758_image_390.jpg

Bloink's Gary, Chestnut Agouti, I had to have him.
2758_image_375.jpg

D&A's Krista, Tort.-Black, she is a very sweet girl, little on the shy side.
2758_image_389.jpg

Bloink's Tequilla, Broken Tortoise, has airplane ears, Idk, just liked her. :p
2758_image_383.jpg

I might be over excited, but I can't quit looking at them or holding them. They are just so sweet, I can't explain it. I hope maybe out of the mix, I get an Ari look a like. :love these buns.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sending you the best of luck. You new bunnies are beautiful!

One Recommendation:

Start the JOURNAL! Keep your notes. If you do this, IMHO, you WILL eventually get your Ari look a like!
It's the best resource of all in making sure you cover all the bases for your rabbits!

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol: and EVERYONE in my family thinks I'm nuts for all my notebooks of rabbit stuff :thumbsup Thank you Ms. Research, I do the same with my chickens and goats, not as in depth of a level as the rabbits have and will get, but I don't feel so nutty now.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds a lot like something that happened to me. We purchased three Red New Zealand kits (our first and only rabbits at the time) from someone and the next morning one was dead. That afternoon another was sick. The Vet said he hadn't seen such a severe case of Coccidia in 50 years. The second died after meds were started but we kept one, now our gorgeous buck Hazel. The breeder said that I caused the Coccidia by moving them which is not possible. It's a parasite that was well established, multiple eggs and organisms on the microscope slide. This breeder said when she breeds her full Ped NZReds that I get two kits of my choosing. I hope she makes it right because I don't want to think ill of anyone.

Good luck with your precious babies!

CYG

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
With the position she was in that you described and the type of bodily fluid I can almost guarantee it was a dead unborn kit.