identifying rabbit colors??

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a site, or something, that has an example of all the possible rabbit colors? I have a french angora that looks gray but on her pedigree it says black. I also have a baby french Angora that looks black except in the sun the tips of his hair look like a dark chocolate color. any ideas?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Angora colors can be tough. The color tends to sort of fade out on the wool, which can make colors harder to identify. "Gray" isn't a color in Angoras, if her pedigree says black (and her head and paws are) sounds to me like she is a black. Baby colors are often a little bit lighter or less intense than the adult color, so my guess is that your baby is a black as well.

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you, that's what I though to. I knew "gray" wasn't an angora color. but people kept asking me "are you sure......???" lol. So now I have someone to back me up! lol thanks

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Angora colors are based on head and feet. A black angora has gray wool.

Angora kits are darker and easier to identify color because the wool hasn't grown in.

How old is the kit you are looking at? Days? or Months?

This is a chocolate French Angora doe. Her wool is plucked off her back. The body color would usually be much lighter.

Penelope's Pecan by Penelope's Rabbitry, on Flickr

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
To judge the color of an anogora, ignore the wooled areas (body, legs, ear feathering, etc.). Look only at the hair sections... nose/face (in French) and feet, around the ears. The "hair" is what the color is judged off of. If your rabbit has a dark, black face, it is a black. The wool on the black angora will be anywhere from silver to gray/blue. Wool is traditionally lighter than the hair colors. In the body you have 2 styles of coat ... wool, the light & fuzzy lines ... softest ... and guardhairs/hairs, the harsher units that keep the wool spearated and manageable. In French you have more guardhairs per square inch than the English. Okay ... if the nose is "gray" or blue, the body wool will be soft gray to white. If the nose is brown or Chocolate the body wool will be soft browns. If the nose is gray with a brown tint, you have a lilac. The wool/body color on a lilac will be similar to a blue, but with a brown cast. Since you made mention of a gray, but did not state if the color was body/wool color or facial colors ... I would say you either have a black, lilac or blue French angora. Angora colors can become difficult for many, even the most experienced breeds struggle with coloration... we have so many!
Picture of Adult black English Angora around 5 months of age Picture of her black son at 5 weeks

1370_princess_1_6_09.jpg
1370_africa_8_24.jpg

Hope this helps with understanding the black coloration and the differences between a youth and adult style coats.
Best of luck with the bunny ...

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also, if you google it, you can find lots of charts available but some of the colors are missing. Like dbunni said, the color on the nose and legs tells you the most.

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank You every one. I really appreciate the pictures, that really helps me out.
Identifying the color just by their face and front legs really makes it easy! and less confusing!